News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Contributors,

Help me, if you can, identify this officer's sabre. I placed this post in this thread because of the 1892 date inside the guard. If this post needs to be in the Third Reich thread I beg your pardon. Sorry for the flash drowning out some of the letters, I would be more than happy to clarify any unreadable inscriptions.

-R.H.

This is a presentation sword from Tiessen to Lekebusch, both of whom were commissioned as Sec.Lts. in the Reserve of the Guard Train Batl, Tiessen on 18.04.1893 and Lekebusch on 15.07.1893. Sorry, no first name for either one.

I believe that they both were one-year volunteers together and completed their stints in 1892- a fitting occasion for an exchange of swords.

Lekebusch left the army on 16.11.1910, having been promoted at some point to Oberlt. and transferred to the Landwehr.

Andy

Edited by arb

Any information about any of the markings on the blade?

How/ where did you get this information?

Is this a Feldjager sword?

And with the "Suum Cuique" badge could it be narrowed to a Prussian Feldjager unit?

Edited by rhines

The Prussian Garde Star insignae (with "SUUM CUIQUE" ) on the Langet denotes a Garde Regiment (Garde du Corps=military guard division) .This is confirmed as Lekebusch was an officer in the "Garde" Train Bataillon. The "TRAIN" Bataillon was in charge of all the logistical supplies .

The blade is an "Eisenhauer" Quillback blade and the sword was acquired through "M.NEUMANN HOFLIEFERANT" who were exclusive merchant/ suppliers to royal house .

The sword is an German Imperial Army Officers Lion Head sword (if it is a straight blade) or sabre (if the blade is curved).

rhines,

Have a look at post #10 from a topic discussed here last summer. It should give you an idea of the process used to

determine the individuals involved.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/59138-unknown-paymaster/

More to your question, I used the annual Army lists (Rangliste) and the weekly publication "Militär Wochenblatt"

The keys for me were the Guard star, the year and names. As they were not nobles, my first assumption was train.

A quick check of the 1894 Army list revealed the two officers in the reserve of the Guard Train Batl.

My knowledge of swords themselves is very limited, so, thank you very much to piekenier for his assistance in that regard.

Andy

Thanks all around guys!

Sword was a war prize of my grandfather's, but his memoirs never mention where or how he acquired it, hence the research. He was 1SG of a company of the 450th Engineers (394th div. I believe).

Arb that Rangliste is going to be incredibly useful.

Thank you again,

-R.H.