News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kaiserliche-, Reichs- or Kriegsmarine Official with TWM

I picked up this very interesting studio portrait, and I would appreciate some educated opinions...

I conclude the dating at 1933/34, just before introduction of the German Third Reich eagle.

Puzzeling are the anchors over the tapes on the lower sleeves, for which I cannot find any indication in my reference books (probably Zahlmeister?).

On the right breast he is wearing the Turkish War Medal. His medal bar shows two medals and two ribbons...

The medals are: Iron Cross 2nd cl. (1914) and Dienstauszeichnung (NCO?) Kreuz;

the ribbons indicate: ? and Turkish War Medal (Gallipoli Star).

I think, this man served as an NCO in the great War and he remained in the Reichsmarine, to be finaly promoted in the late 1920s or early 1930s.

Your ideas please....?

Thanks Glenn,

To my knowledge, the Reichsmarine adopted the golden/yellow oval cap badge with the black eagle in late 1919, and it was used until 1933.

This guy wears the cap badge (without the imperial crown) and with theblack-white-red roundel, as introduced in 1933.

How do you explain that?