News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal Arch Medals

Mike

Hi Gents ...I just bought some new medals and thought I'd post them. There are 2 that I've never seen before ..maybe you have.

The first ones are Royal Arch , not sure what they were awarded for unless ...maybe these were the same as a PM Jewel ?

Hi Gents ...I just bought some new medals and thought I'd post them. There are 2 that I've never seen before ..maybe you have.

The first ones are Royal Arch , not sure what they were awarded for unless ...maybe these were the same as a PM Jewel ?

It is the:

Jewel of a 'MARK MASTER MASON'

The Degree of Mark Master Mason

The Degree of Mark Master Mason is open to all Master Masons. The ceremony, in which a brother is 'advanced', can be said to comprise of two degrees; the first part in which he is acknowledged as a Mark Man and then the second where he becomes a Mark Master Mason.

The Mark referred to in its title takes its name from the mark or symbol with which the stonemason identified his work and can still be found in many cathedrals and important buildings. This mark not only acted as a trademark but probably also as a form of advertising.

Much use is made of Holy Writ to instruct the candidate and brethren in the story which serves to teach that the real message is one of contemplation of human strengths and weaknesses. In chronological terms the degree follows that of the Second Degree in Craft Masonry.

There is reputedly some evidence that the degree is 400 years old but the earliest English records stem from 1769 when it was first worked in Friendship Royal Arch Chapter No.257 in Plymouth. However, a minute book dated 1599 of the Lodge of Edinburgh states that several speculative brethren had appended their marks after their names.

The ordinary members' regalia comprises of an apron and breast jewel. The apron is of white kid with a triangular flap bordered with a two inch ribbon of light blue with crimson edges. It has rosettes of a similar colouring whilst Masters and Past Masters have the rosettes replaced with silver levels. The jewel of the order is a Key Stone appended to a ribbon, which matches the apron and bears a mallet & chisel, which are the tools of the order. The keystone, which bears certain characters, forms an integral part of the ceremony.

In the UK this degree does not operate under Royal Arch constitution or administration. It is administered by its own Grand Lodge of Mark Master Masons

Edited by Humber

I've never seen one of these before and ..I'm not sure if it's even Masonic

Bit more info on Rosicrusian's

DEGREES WORKED

I? - Zelator

II? - Theoricus

III? - Practicus

IV? - Philosophus

V? - Adeptus Minor

VI? - Adeptus Major

VII? - Adeptus Exemptus

VIII? - Magister

IX? - Magus

This jewel is the V to VII degree and known as the 'Ancient Jewel of Adeptship'

[attachmentid=29331]

Edited by Humber

Thanks for that Humber! The last time I was in a RA Lodge was 4 years ago and I don't remember seeing them worn ...could be old age though :blush:

Can you explain anything about more that Rosicrusian Jewel? I don't know anything about them and ...since it has "Anglia" on it , could it be for a UK chapter?

much to learn with these things !

Thanks for that Humber! The last time I was in a RA Lodge was 4 years ago and I don't remember seeing them worn ...could be old age though :blush:

Can you explain anything about more that Rosicrusian Jewel? I don't know anything about them and ...since it has "Anglia" on it , could it be for a UK chapter?

much to learn with these things !

Have a look at link on post 6

also do a Google images for sria jewels

Have a look at link on post 6

also do a Google images for sria jewels

Thanks ..I'm so use to people attaching links (on the bottom of a Post) to their own sites that I overlooked it ..sorry :unsure:

;) ... the centre bar has me puzzled.Never seen a solid bar before

Firstly, welcome to the forum, sptregalia!

I think that the jewel in the first post is either a miniature or smaller than normal, hence the 'solid' bar rather than a buckle-type bar, which would be more difficult to make.

The central bar upon which is mounted the working tools was, according to some old regalia catalogues, a common design in the early part of the 20th Century. Earlier examples of the jewel were even to be found with the cut-glass or paste 'stones' often found adorning jewels of other degrees around that time (pictured below).

[attachmentid=29876] [attachmentid=29877]

A further example of a very old Mark Master Mason's breast jewel (sadly, not one I own :banger: ), but was for sale on a well-known auction website, earlier this year. Very unusual in that the working tools are suspended either side of the keystone.

From the style of the twisted wire bars, I assume it to be 1880-ish or earlier - can anyone enlighten us further?

[attachmentid=29880]

;) The first jewel is certainly Mark.I think Provincial,but the centre bar has me puzzled.Never seen a solid bar before.sptregalia

here's another for you to see.

[attachmentid=29905]

Edited by Humber

Here's another shot of it ..It doesn't look like a miniature ..the one next to it sure is though

You're quite right Mike, it definitely isn't a miniature.

I must admit to having seen a great range of sizes for this jewel, all with slightly different designs and keystones. If I get chance later, I will try to scan a few different examples I have.

Regards

WM5806