News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Saxe-Weimar, Order of the White Falcon, a different type or what ?

Dear Sirs,

I would like to have your help, please….

Below I posted a photo of two different Saxe-Weimar, Order of the White Falcon (see nr. 1 and nr. 2).

What I would like to know is why the badge in the photo nr. 1 is without the red enamelled part between the arms of the cross (see letter A) that, instead, is present (see letter B) on the photo nr. 2 ?

Has this any particular meaning and/or indicate a particular type / period issue of this Order ?

Or it identifies a different Class ?

Or what ?

Many thanks to all that will help me in understanding better this Order.

ATB

Lilo

The version without the 4-pointed enameled star between the arms was established in 1892 (Ghzgl. Reg.-Blatt Nr. 1892/25, s.203ff, 8.10.1892). It was a version for general merit, although I do not know what the actual difference was. The 1892 statutes say the regular version would be, from then on, awarded for merit to the grand ducal house or for the welfare of the land.

Rank lists, court and state handbooks, and the Deutsche Ordens-Almanach do not distinguish among the different versions, so I have no idea how one would know which version was awarded.

Hi Dave and Paul,

many thanks for this clarification : very much appreciated !

I also noted that the central enamelled circle of the Breast Star of this Order, is sometime enamelled in BLUE and sometime in GREEN : does this means a different maker / type, a different class or what else ?

According to Nimmergut, it is supposed to be blue.

Also, the version for general merit, which as I said above was established in 1892, was revoked in 1902 (Ghzgl. Reg.-Blatt Nr. 1902/15, s.87ff, 30.4.1902). So that version only existed for those 10 years. I should have checked all the statutes before replying.

Dave

According to Nimmergut, it is supposed to be blue.

Also, the version for general merit, which as I said above was established in 1892, was revoked in 1902 (Ghzgl. Reg.-Blatt Nr. 1902/15, s.87ff, 30.4.1902). So that version only existed for those 10 years. I should have checked all the statutes before replying.

Dave

Hi dave,

again, Many Thanks

ATB

Lilo

Edited by lilo

I received this information some years ago from Michael Autengruber of Kuenker,

"the lack of the green cross of the star is a special division of the order named “for general merit”, instituted in 1892. The insignia of this division, that consists in the four grades grand cross, commander with star, commander and knight 1st class, is a order’s cross without the rues between the cross arms, and the grand cross star is without the green arms. These insignia are quite rare to find compared to the normal ones, and with the stars there doesn’t exist the problems with fakes."

Paul

I received this information some years ago from Michael Autengruber of Kuenker,

"the lack of the green cross of the star is a special division of the order named “for general merit”, instituted in 1892. The insignia of this division, that consists in the four grades grand cross, commander with star, commander and knight 1st class, is a order’s cross without the rues between the cross arms, and the grand cross star is without the green arms. These insignia are quite rare to find compared to the normal ones, and with the stars there doesn’t exist the problems with fakes."

Paul

Hi Paul,

Many Thanks for this very interesting report that is an exaustive answer to my research.

ATB

Lilo

Hi again Paul,

I have re-read what Mr. Autengruber have written (and you reported) and I would like to ask a further question :

What is the meaning of ‘rues between the cross arms’ ?

May be it means what, at the start point of this post, I called : ‘red enamelled part between the arms of the cross’ ?

Further, may I ask you if you can added something about the other question (see below) :

'I also noted that the CENTRAL ENAMELLED CIRCLE of the Breast Star of this Order, is sometime enamelled in BLUE and sometime in GREEN : does this means a different maker / type, a different class or what else ?'

Many Thanks

Lilo

Edited by lilo