News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What's in a name? Or in this case, a bunch of them?

There was a Dr. Thiele who served successively with IR 111, FAR 35, FAR 37 and 2.Division. He was Divisions-Arzt of the 2.ID when the war started, and ended up as a Generalarzt a.D.

But different sources have different Vornamen.

According to the 1903 Reichs-Medicinal-Kalender für Deutschland, he was "Heinrich Leopold Johann". This is the same as in the Deutschen Ordens-Almanach, which has him as "Heinr. L. Joh.". I cannot find a medical dissertation for anyone by this name.

Every other source says his name was Werner. Carl Heinrich Werner, to be specific. The list of recipients of the Orden vom Zähringer Löwen in the Hof- und Staatshandbuch des Großherzogtums Baden says "Dr. Werner Thiele". The Prussian Ordensliste lists his Roter-Adler-Orden under "Dr. Thiele, Werner". The Baden Jubilee Medal list from IR 111 says "Carl Heinrich Werner". The Jahresverzeichnis der deutschen Hochschulschriften has Werner Thiele receiving his Dr.med. in 1888 from Kiel. His dissertation listed in the Index-Catalogue of the Library of the Surgeon-General's Office, US Army confirms that this is Carl Heinrich Werner, born in 1864. And Das Offizierkorps des Infanterie-Regiments Markgraf Ludwig Wilhelm (3. Badisches) Nr. 111 also says "Werner".

He is not listed in the 1919 address book for Insterburg, home of FAR 37 and 2.Div., and I can't find any from when he went to FAR 37 up to the war. I don't have a Stammliste for either of these FARs, and I don't even know if there is one.

So the weight of evidence seems to point to Werner as the correct name, but I cannot account for the DOA and the Medicinal-Kalendar.

Any thoughts? Or other sources I haven't seen?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

"Die Mecklenburgischen Ärzte von den ältesten Zeiten bis zur Gegenwart", veranstaltet von Dr. med. Axel Wilhelmi, Eduard Herberger's

Hofbuchdruckerei, Schwerin, 1901 lists his full name as Carl Heinrich W e r n e r, as does the 1912 IR 111 Stammliste.

The DOA can only be a misprint. The other Ob. St. Arzt named Thiele in 1905 was Otto. He was the Leibarzt of Herzog Ernst I. von Sachsen-Altenburg at the time.

Andy

The thing I can't account for is why more than one source would ahev the same misprint. Perhaps the editor of the DOA simply looked in the older Medicinal-Kalendar for the full name, but then we have to wonder where the Medicinal-Kalendar got the name from.

That 1912 IR 111 Stammliste sounds like it would be useful. I only have the 1902 list, which lacks detail. Does it have fuller bios? I have a number of gaps in the annotations to the Jubilee Medal list, especially birthdates/places. I am also curious, though I don't know what a Stammliste would say about it, about what happened to Karl Vahlkampf, who was "auß. abg." between the 1910 and 1911 RLs.

Dave

Dave,

We can only speculate as to the source of the error. Thankfully, we have enough solid sources to confirm his first name(s).

As for Karl Vahlkampf, all the Stammliste says is "02.08.10 aus d. Dienste entlassen." I do not recall ever seeing a reason for an officer being tossed out of the army. Perhaps they considered it bad form.

This IR 111 Stammliste and supplement goes through 04. Jan 1914. I'll be happy to assist filling in the Jubilee list. Just let me know what you need.

Andy