News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Colonial Territories Medals

Doc

Good afternoon.

I am researching an individual who reportedly received two medals in the 1930s-- La M?daille de la Paix du Maroc, and the Nichan Iftikhar de Tunis. Does anyone have any suggestions as to whether any lists of recipients exist, and where I might find them? Both were issued under French Colonial Rule, but I so far have not been able to find any such lists, or criteria for award. Thanks. Doc

• 4 weeks later...

Good afternoon.

I am researching an individual who reportedly received two medals in the 1930s-- La M?daille de la Paix du Maroc, and the Nichan Iftikhar de Tunis. Does anyone have any suggestions as to whether any lists of recipients exist, and where I might find them? Both were issued under French Colonial Rule, but I so far have not been able to find any such lists, or criteria for award. Thanks. Doc

Additionally, I am looking for illustrations of them, if anyone has them. Thanks. Doc

Hi Doc,

The Commemorative Medal for Morocco was established on 22 July 1909 to reward both military and civilians that took part in the pacification operations in Morocco in the 1907-1909 period. Later operations in Morocco were recognized by the award of the Colonial Medal with the MAROC or MAROC 1925-1927 bars.

For the Commemorative Medal 4 bars were created : CASABLANCA - OUDJA - HAUT-GUIR and lastly (in 1913) MAROC.

Can't help you with the Tunisian one I'm afraid ... but here's a couple of pictures of the Moroccan one.

Cheers,

Hendrik

[attachmentid=32263] [attachmentid=32262]

Oops !!! Just realized as I reread my post ... wrong medal !

This is the one you meant :

Created on 21 November 1927 by the Spanish government to commemorate the campaign in Northern Morocco (Rif mountain area) in which both French and Spanish troops took part. The adversaries were the tribes led by Abd-El-Krim and the campaign lasted between 1 July 1925 and 23 July 1927.

Apparently some 200.000 military (half of them French, the other half Spanish) were involved over the years.

The French government approved the wearing of this medal by their military by a decree dated 3 April 1930.

The star on the ribbon is believed to be a Moroccan symbol (and not a Star of David as it is sometimes referred to).

Perhaps interesting too : the French were originally led by Field-Marshal Lyautey but later on by FM P?tain of WW1 and Verdun fame.

Picture of the medal on a Spanish suspension bar below

[attachmentid=32265]

Oops !!! Just realized as I reread my post ... wrong medal !

This is the one you meant :

Created on 21 November 1927 by the Spanish government to commemorate the campaign in Northern Morocco (Rif mountain area) in which both French and Spanish troops took part. The adversaries were the tribes led by Abd-El-Krim and the campaign lasted between 1 July 1925 and 23 July 1927.

Apparently some 200.000 military (half of them French, the other half Spanish) were involved over the years.

The French government approved the wearing of this medal by their military by a decree dated 3 April 1930.

The star on the ribbon is believed to be a Moroccan symbol (and not a Star of David as it is sometimes referred to).

Perhaps interesting too : the French were originally led by Field-Marshal Lyautey but later on by FM P?tain of WW1 and Verdun fame.

Picture of the medal on a Spanish suspension bar below

[attachmentid=32265]

Thanks Hendrik! A Spanish Medal.... No wonder I couldn't track it down in France. Do you have any idea as to who might have the official list of recipients? Thanks a lot. Doc

As we've discussed in the other thread (http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6261 -- and shouldn't this duplicate thread be merged into that one over in "internationa", where it belongs?), the documentation -- if it survives -- may be in Rabat, it may be in Madrid, it may be in Ceuta, it may be in Melilla, or it may not be.

As we've discussed in the other thread (http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6261 -- and shouldn't this duplicate thread be merged into that one over in "internationa", where it belongs?), the documentation -- if it survives -- may be in Rabat, it may be in Madrid, it may be in Ceuta, it may be in Melilla, or it may not be.

Thanks to all for the responses. I have no problem with combining the two threads. I was just trying to hit people who might be looking only at one list or another. Doc

• 6 years later...

Hi

New to this forum & apologies for resurrecting such an old topic but saw people were asking about an official list of recipients for the Medalla de la Paz de Marruecos (Fr. Medaile de la paix). I'm pretty certain I've seen a full list of names in the Spanish government archives (Archivo General de Administracion) in Alcala de Henares, about 40 minutes from Madrid. This archive has the records of the Spanish protectorate in Morocco, open to researchers since the early '90s.

I'll look through my notes and see if I can give you a file reference, in case anyone's interested.

Hi

New to this forum & apologies for resurrecting such an old topic but saw people were asking about an official list of recipients for the Medalla de la Paz de Marruecos (Fr. Medaile de la paix). I'm pretty certain I've seen a full list of names in the Spanish government archives (Archivo General de Administracion) in Alcala de Henares, about 40 minutes from Madrid. This archive has the records of the Spanish protectorate in Morocco, open to researchers since the early '90s.

I'll look through my notes and see if I can give you a file reference, in case anyone's interested.

"bnac" - welcome to GMIC! No need to apologize for resurrecting old topics - we love it when someone can add new information!

Thanks IrishGunner

This is the website for the archive in Alcala, aka the AGA (in Spanish): http://www.mcu.es/archivos/MC/AGA/index.html The archive closes at 2.30pm and they don't allow photography so you have to make the most of your time there.

From memory, the file with details of Medalla de la Paz recipients was under the catalogue heading of Africa 15(3) or Africa 15(17). If I can find more details, then I'll post it here. Unfortunately the AGA only has paper index files on-site so there's no way of checking the catalogue without visiting the archive itself.