News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

State pf NY Service medal

Noor

Hi all,

I just would like to check is the State of NY Service medals researchable? I just picked one up with other items. It is official strike with the number 57530.

Any help or advise would be great.

Thanking you in advance,

Timo aka Noor

Now, this medal came to my possession with the following lot inside the box. Weird, they were found in Dublin, Ireland.

1. Pilgrimage of Mothers and Womens. Clasp named to "Mrs. E. Marino. New York". Number 3884.

2. Gold Star Pilgrimage to the Battlefields of World WAr 1930. On the rim "Bronze m 3850"

3. Brooch wings with the "5" and "MSD" (looks more modern and perhaps added in later?)

4. World War Service 27th Division brooch. "Sterling Silver". Looks like centre piece is gold???

5. I think most interesting medallion - Looks like Air Force wings with letter "A" on each. Enamelled number I in the middle. One the back engraved letters "J.M." and year 1910. "Sterling Popper"

6. State of New York Service medal no. 57530

Any ideas what exactly these last two pieces are and how much this full lot would be worth (not my collecting interest so I most likelt move them all on).

Regards,

Noor

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your replay. I finally found out that the AA winged medallion is actually Athletic Association. In the meantime letters on it J M indicates that the fallen soldier first name may started with the J. So, I saw two John Marino's on the New York WW1 roll of honours. One was John Marino and other John A Marino.

27th Division brooch was actually a ring in the first place.

I was also advised that the State of NY service medal database is very little and most entries are missing. So, new owner of this set probably can start tracing it using Golden Mother line here.

Thank you again for your time and replay,

Timo

Heureka!!! Thank you to the help (3mxd from another forum - thank you again if you are member here as well!) here is information of recipient; Mrs. Ella Marino, widow of PFC John A Marino, Co.C, 12nd Engineer Regt, 27th Division, KIA 30 September, breaching the Hindenburg Line. She was from New York city.

Edited by Noor