News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guys,

I think this is ok and of the period, at one time it has been badly corroded at the back end but scrubbed back down to bare brass leaving a horrible bumpy finish, I have seen this before on shell cases that have been scrubbed up. It has the usual dings and bumps, looks like it has been in a vice to try and remove the mothpeice but I guess they failed as it is still solid in there. No markings to be seen!

Jock :)

• 2 weeks later...

Paul,

I am only going off the others I have which is the shape and style of manufacture. the best being my early HJ bugle with the eagle badge affixed, none of the brass I have found from various sources (fleemarket, scrap yard to house clearance) are marked. so I am only guessing based on construction methods, quality of the item (the look & finish is just not there with modern stuff), wear and tear, other collectors opinion (a long time collector that knows his stuff) and lastly the price, should be less than scrap value. I would not pay much for these things as they are hard to proove one way or the other as they are not commonly marked for military use?

Thanks Jock. I am not up on these. I am kinda shocked that they did not mark their musical instruments, as it seems as if everything from that time period was. It does have a lot of wear and patina.

Paul,

I am not up on them either any more than what I have encountered and related on here or other fora. I am not saying they didn't mark them, I am just saying the very cheaply obtained items I have including a nice HJ badged bugle identical in construction to these (I will line them up for a parade shot later), two of which are not even maker marked, have no markings at all. Of 4 fanfares that are similar in construction but not all identical are also not marked. You said your pal is writing a book about these, what does he think? The other thing I have 'thunk' is there was not much call for fanfare trumpets post war as all military pomp and ceromony was actively discouraged. If you were making fakes in the 60-80s I doubt you would be tooling up to churn out obscure items that were not well collected? Lastly I understand a large amount of badges/eqpt were not marked but who wants them now, the books push us to seek the maker marks as some sort of reassurance? The one good spin off is that most fakes now have dodgey markings? I suppose the worry now is that when mine eventually are disposed of they will be marked up by some cheating fraudster to suit whatever any reference pushes as the real deal.

• 3 weeks later...

Paul,

Catching up my admin, as stated all three together. I also did a bit of reading in Angolia/Schlicht, Die Deutsche Wehrmacht band 1, p484 covers the signalhorn with quotes from period paperwork. There is no mention of maker markings or military markings on them? There is however mention of markings on the Pfeife mit Huelle (p485) being 1.2cm bellow the mouth hole? Hope this helps?

• 4 weeks later...