News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Group of East German Award Docs

A nice grouping. I believe "SV" on the documents indicates that he was a member of the Deutsche Volkspolizei (VOPO) Prison Service or Strafvollzugsdienstes. Which would mean they are much rarer than your run of the mill VOPO documents.

ehrentitle,

I will take your word for it, it is not normaly something I would buy but I see there is interest in this stuff now. They are also quite nicely made documents in their own right even though there must be thousands of them surviving.

PS, I will ask my collegues if they brought any Pogs back as a few have returned recently from Afhgan, I had some but gave them away!

Cheers

Jock :)

Jock, I think that you made a good choice in getting this VOPO career group, especially if it is prison related. It's interesting to see someones entire career and promotions (or in some cases lack their of) in these award documents.

Much appreciated on the POGS. I collect AAFES, EFI and all of those other strange POGs that have come out of Afghanistan, Iraq and Kuwait. All because I was out on a walk at lunch 5 years ago and found one on the ground and became interested in collecting them as a result.

Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle

Hi Jock,

yes, SV is Strafvollzug, and on the document "Für vorbildliche Arbeit" you can see the location Thale and you can see in the signature the abbreviation StVE, that is Strafvollzugseinrichtung (prison). The Oberstleutnant d. SV Buttkus was the leader (Leiter) of the Strafvollzugseinrichtung Thale.

See the ranks Organ Strafvollzug (SV):

http://www.lbsr.cz/ddr/mdi/dvp_1.html

Uwe

Guys,

Thanks for the detail! I guess he did not have a very interesting life with all of the crooks! I thought though under communism they did not have social deliquents or a need for prisons, quite interesting, criminals being a 'Western Disease' and all!

Cheers.

Jock :)