News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What badge is this?

Noor

Hi all,

I am fairly sure that it is US era but thats about it I am able to work out. So guys, what badge this is and from what period? Also is it worth anything - its available in Dublin and I do not own it. Just wanted to check is it worth to get....

Thanking you in advance,

Timo

It's a Civil War period 13th New York Artillery badge, probably more in Ireland than in America, as to value no idea possibly some of the US buffs will have an idea, interestingly I couldn't find any illustrations of it on Google.

All the best

Paul

This looks to me to be the post-1905 size collar insignia. It is indeed the 13th New York Artillery, but it's not the same 13th NY Heavy Artillery of the Civil War era. Also, branch insignia in the Civil War was worn on the front of the hat and were much larger.

From 1900-1905, the 13th New York Heavy Artillery Regiment was designated in Brooklyn, New York. It would become the 13th Coast Artillery in 1906 and eventually would become the 245th Coast Artillery NY National Guard in 1924.

Both field artillery and coast artillery units wore the same insignia until 1917; so, I date the above insignia between 1905-1917 for the 13th Coast Artillery New York National Guard.

I'd value it around $20-30 US Dollars.

Edited by IrishGunner

Thank you very much Paul and IrishGunner! It is nice unusual badge (especially to see in Dublin!) but I think I pass it this time - not my collecting interest really. Asked price is between IrishGunner estimate range.

Just I learned something today and that's priceless! I am always amazed what kind of stuff shows up here every now and then.

Thanks again guys,

Timo aka Noor

Yea, I'd be surprised to see that in Dublin as well. But New York City, including a portion of Brooklyn, has a very long and deep Irish heritage. Perhaps a son of Erin returned home or some mementos were returned to a family, perhaps a mother.