News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

MG Scharfschuetzer PC translation

Here's a nice card I picked up recently, looks like a Scharfschuetzer badge on his arm and he's just received the EKII for something he did on the Somme, the card is dated 22 Aug. 1916.

As more often than not with German postcards, it's hard to find someone who can decipher the letters scribbled on the back so if anyone can help with the words I've marked I'll be most grateful.

I did work out that he's being posted to an anti aircraft unit and his name is Robert Wiegand.

Sorry about the poor pics, I don't have a scanner.

Tony

Hello Tony.

Thanks for posting these items.

First section you would like translated I read as: "bin ganz schoen getroffen. War gerade draussen zur Fliegerabwehr" or was hit pretty good. Was just outside as defense against airplanes.

The next and last one: unable to read, begins with L...??

Bernhard H. Holst

Bernhard, thanks for your help!

I thought the word beginning with L may have been a B, I find it so difficult to read. The word beginning with L is part of his parent's address, the town I think, so I was hoping I might find him (Robert Wiegand) and the town mentioned in the Verlustlisten to pin him down to a unit.

It says 'Zur Erinnerung an die Somme = Schlacht' at the bottom of the card, written in a different hand than the message on the reverse however, it isn't modern German handwriting so it would have been nice to confirm he was actually on the Somme.

Tony

Hi,

Will euch hiermit eine kleine Freude machen.

Hatte mich am Sonntag photographieren lassen.

Bin auch ganz schön getroffen. Ich war gerade draußen zur Fliegerabwehr.

Sonst noch gesund und munter, hoffe dasselbe auch von euch lieben allen daheim.

It should be the town Lebach.

Uwe

Hi,

Will euch hiermit eine kleine Freude machen.

Hatte mich am Sonntag photographieren lassen.

Bin auch ganz schön getroffen. Ich war gerade draußen zur Fliegerabwehr.

Sonst noch gesund und munter, hoffe dasselbe auch von euch lieben allen daheim.

It should be the town Lebach.

Uwe

Hello Uwe.

Your being able to read the whole thing puts the correct meaning down. I looked at the name of the town again and again without result.

Good job.

Bernhard H. Holst

Aha, not far from Lerbach is a place called Bartelfelde, Osterode where a Gefr.Robert Wiegand is reported as missing in Jan. 1919 casualty list however, his unit is shown as IR 116. The previous year he was listed as slightly wounded but he's just a name in a very long list of names and in 1916 the same man was wounded while serving with RIR 230, unfortunately no mention of a MG unit so perhaps I've hit a dead end.

Tony