News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question on british camouflage

Hello friends!

I bought myself a british camouflage jacket.

I found out, that it´s a DPM95, right?

The Stafford Knot indicates it as the "Staffordshire Regiment"

My questions:

1) In which years this pattern was worn?

2) In which missions that regiment was engaged in that time?

Thanks a lot in advance

Edited by The Prussian

Hello Andy!

That jacket could be as late as from the 3rd Bn Mercian Regiment too (2007-2014). It was the part of the new regiment that the 1st Bn Staffordshire Regiment provided, all regular battalions of the Mercian Regiment wear (wore, in the case of the 3rd Bn) diamond-shaped TRF's.

/Jonas

I don't know what badges the Mercian Regiment wear on their dress uniforms, but I'm fairly certain that there's some Staffords traditions visible - the knot? / the glider? - that will remain in wear with those battalions that originated in the Cheshire Regt (1st Bn) or Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regt (2nd Bn).

I don't know what TRF the Staffords wore on their DPM's, but it could well have been a knot though in another shape than the 3rd Mercian TRF.

That camo pattern is the latest pattern of the British forces, replacing DPM.

/Jonas

3Bn have just disbanded here in Falinbostel Germany, they completed a tour of Afghan just at the end of summer then disbanded immediately afterward. They moved into MTP camo before the tour probably about a year and half or two years ago. They had a gold bullion knot that they wore on their Dress uniform and even on the wooly jersey, I think I have some somewhere, If I can find one I shall post it up.

merry christmas

@ Jonas: You wrote "That camo pattern is the latest pattern of the British forces, replacing DPM.". But in the jacket is a sign, days, "Jacket, DPM, field". Do you know, when this pattern was introduced?

@ Jock: Thanks for the info! I´ve read, they were disbanded in Fally. The new 2020 structure is a shame to a lot of traditionally british regiments.

@ Jonas: You wrote "That camo pattern is the latest pattern of the British forces, replacing DPM.". But in the jacket is a sign, days, "Jacket, DPM, field". Do you know, when this pattern was introduced?

Andy, I commented the uniforms in your link! :whistle: Your jacket is of course DPM, however of what vintage I leave to Jock or someone else to determine. I really like the older jackets as yours where a tailor had some work with the patches even though as a patch collector, the velcro system makes it easier to just tear off and provide me with yet another sample...

/Jonas

Edited by GRA

Here are the postings of 1st Bn Staffordshire Regiment in the 20 years running up to amalgamation in 2006:

(From T.F. Mills archived britishregiments.org <http://web.archive.org/web/20071025082950/http://www.regiments.org/deploy/uk/reg-inf/038staff.htm>)

1986.01 Germany: Fallingbostel 7 Armd Bde 1990.10 (Persian Gulf) 1991.04 Germany: Fallingbostel 7 Armd Bde 1991.11 England: Chester 42 Bde 1992.04 (Northern Ireland) 1992.11 England: Chester 42 Bde 1994.01 Northern Ireland: Ballykinlar 39 Inf Bde 1996.10 (Hong Kong) 1997.02 Northern Ireland: Ballykinlar 39 Inf Bde 1996.03 England: Tern Hill (Clive Barracks) 143 Bde 2000.08 England: Tidworth (Mooltan Barracks) 1 Mech Bde [Warrior bn] 2000 Cyprus UNFICYP 2000 England: Tidworth (Mooltan Barracks) 2002.11 (Kosovo) KFOR 2003.05 England: Tidworth (Mooltan Barracks) 2005.04 (Iraq) 2005.10.25 England: Tidworth (Mooltan Barracks) 12 Bde 2007.08.24 3rd Battalion, The Mercian Regiment (Staffords) 2009 Germany: Fallingbostel

The multi-cam Action Man pyjamas were first shown to the press in 2009 and were rolled out first to units deploying in Helmand to make up for the inadequacies of the 2-colour desert DPM in the tropical vegetaion of the 'green zone' along the Helmand river. I am surprised it took three years for the uniform to reach the 3 MERCIANS/ Staffords in Germany as it seems to have been omnipresent in UK for a while but if their first deployment to Afghanistan was in 2012 perhaps that would explain it.

Apologies: The formatting of the deployment chart was perfect before I pressed 'Submit'

Edited by jf42

You're welcome. T.F. Mills is not infallible; the monumental work was never completed before some idiot hijacked his domain name. So there are errors and question marks in some of the service record charts, but it's always a good starting point.