News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ed - a nice present and one that will go nicely in your collection. Whistles replaced hand rattles in the 1880's - tests had

proved that they could be heard three times further then the rattles. The Metropolitan was the name given to it by the makers - Hudson and Sons in Birmingham. Most households made sure that they had one in case of emergency - no telephones in those days.

However, not all of these whistles did Police service. Those carried by Police usually have the Constable's number engraved

on the side. Does yours have this ? Best wishes for 2015. Mervyn

Somewhere I have something slightly different - it looks like a police whistle (sounds like one too) but it has 'GPO' engraved on it. It belonged to my maternal grandfather who worked in the GPO stores, firstly in Birmingham and then in Edinburgh. Not quite sure why he needed a whistle, though.

In some areas they blew a a whistle to advise people that post had been delivered - particulalry where the box was separate

from the house. I always thought the whistles they used were of the 'pea' variety , however, he may have worked with registered

and had this for security. Best wishes for 2015. Mervyn