• 1 year later...

Willy is referred to in this thread as an Acting Sergeant, Sergeant & a Company Sergeant Major - it looks as if he was actually a Company Sergeant Major at the time of his death.

Does his Medal Index Card show whether his 1914 or 1914 - 15 Star was actually issued to his next of kin?

How about a check of the Battalion War Diary for the date of death - it may not add anything to what's already known, but then again it might.

Willy is referred to in this thread as an Acting Sergeant, Sergeant & a Company Sergeant Major - it looks as if he was actually a Company Sergeant Major at the time of his death.

Does his Medal Index Card show whether his 1914 or 1914 - 15 Star was actually issued to his next of kin?

How about a check of the Battalion War Diary for the date of death - it may not add anything to what's already known, but then again it might.

Must to be 1914 Star with "MONS" bar .

But I don't have medals card :unsure:

(May be somebody can help me - I'll send money by PayPal and YOU help me with medals card ? ) :anmatcat:

Yes, the Star will have his rank in 1914, the other medals his rank at time of death - I usually get mixed up on this, but I think that they also have his original regiment on them, even if he transferred to a different one by the time of death?

Ed will no doubt straighten us out on that one.

I'll send you a PM re checking the MIC & I'll check the entry in "Soldiers Died".

Ah, I wondered if he may have been an Acting CSM - but even so Id've thought that he would have been a substantive Staff or Colour Sergeant on his BWM & VM?

It's nice when you can get that much detail on the action down to "your" man being named.

• 8 years later...