News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi,

I have always assumed the Regimentskommandeur is the commander, and Regiments Führer has Temporary command... But looking at award documets to the 1 garde zu Fuss i see all the commanders are listed as "Führer".... even after a couple of years at the helm.

According to Wiki... All Princes of Prussia were commissioned lieutenants in the 1st Foot Guards upon their tenth birthdays. Regimentschef was always the King of Prussia.

Can we assume that they are all listed as "Führer" because the Koenig is actually the Kommandeur, even if not there?

Thanks

Chris

• 1 August 1914: Eitel Friedrich Prince of Prussia
    • 14 November 1914 Friedrich von Bismarck (killed at Bouvincourt, acting commander)
    • 6 November 1916: Siegfried Graf zu Eulenburg-Wicken (acting commander)
    • 28 April 1917: (ad interim) Friedrich Franz Adolf von Stephani (acting commander)
    • 7 July 1917 – 11 December 1918: Siegfried Graf zu Eulenburg-Wicken (acting commander)
    • 27 August 1918: (ad interim) Friedrich Franz Adolf von Stephani (acting commander)
    • 1 September – 11 December 1918: Siegfried Graf zu Eulenburg-Wicken (acting commander)
    • 26 September 1918: (ad interim) Friedrich Franz Adolf von Stephani (acting commander)
    • 30 September – 11 December 1918: Siegfried Graf zu Eulenburg-Wicken (acting commander)

As you see on the WIKI page for the Regiment.... Eitel Friedrich was Kommander.... then everyone else afterwards just Acting Commander or Führer

Hello Chris.

I believe that there existed a substantial difference in the unit commanders titles' application during WW I and WWII. In my opinion the title of commander ( Kommandeur) and Leader ( Fuehrer) was used interchangeably. Graf Eulenburg was in fact the regimental commander of 1.Garde Regiment z. F. for the longest duration as a regimental commander and has been lauded as such in historians' evaluation. Looking at the several unit histories of WW I most often the "Fuehrer " title was used and I believe not to establish or signal a temporary command or as deputy. The honorary " Regiments Chef" or "Inhaber" was traditional and even assumed by females.

During WW II existed such a slew of different command situations that scorecards would be helpful ( Stellvertreter, m.d.F.d.G. i.V and what have you.)

Bernhard H. Holst

Just found the following on the Regt, " Von Bismarck und später Graf zu Eulenburg-Wicken erhielten in der Ernennungsurkunde die Bezeichnung „Regimentsführer“, da ja der Prinz nach dem Krieg wieder der Regimentskommandeur werden wollte."

​Hello Chris.

Interesting information. The prince Eitel Friedrich , I wonder why he gave up command. But note the other meaning of the word " eitel".

Bernhard H. Holst