News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with Photo - Unknown Medal

First the facts:

-Photo should be from 1890

-Recipient is I believe judicial captain 1st class born in 1860

-First decoration is obviously Order of the Cross of Takovo 5th class

-Medal in question is on suspension ring and has a multi color ribbon 

20150407_140147.thumb.jpg.e00ee95bf738de

Considering that this person was born in 1860 chances that it could be something from the Wars of 1876-78 are in my opinion slim, especially because the medal doesn't seem to be 1876-77-78 Commemorative War Medal.

It obviously isn't Medal for Military Virtues (1883).

Absence of 1885-86 Commemorative War Cross suggests it can't be 1885-86 Bravery Medal (apart from that golden is on completely red ribbon, and the silver is smaller than one on the photo) but could it be Medal for Zealous Service in War of 1885-86? Size is about right and its ribbon is red with 4 blue stripes... I don't know could an officer receive it without being awarded with the Commemorative War Cross, even the judicial one.

I am pretty sure it can't be Royal Household Medal.

So I am running out of ideas, does anyone know what that medal might be? All comments are more than welcome.

Edited by paja

• 2 months later...

According to information I dug up since I started this topic person in question was awarded with Takovo V in 1893, and became captain 1st class in 1894.
    So the photo was made somewhere between 1894 and 1900.
    I am still not sure what could that medal be so if anyone has any ideas I'm more than interested to hear them.

Edited by paja