News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Chris,

They were used primarily by Landwehr, Landsturm and mountain troops. There were many different patterns used, as commercial (civilian) ones were pressed into service during the shortages starting in 1915.. I've also seen naval ground forces wearing them.

Chip

I don't get the Pioneer thing either, everyone used them. Old rucksacks are all based from the latter half of the 19th century when many more Victorians had time to enjoy the great outdoors. The trick, if there is one is judging the fabric the German Army favoured, and stamps as Chip points out, most are simply commercial available to anyone. Ten euros can't be bad Chris.

I just had a thought,,bell goes off! (I blame the multivitamin I took the morning!) how about a 'Snagged for under 50-100 bucks' thread? Even stuff we may have let go and been disappointed in the outcome. It would help new collectors gauge prices etc, a comfortable spending guide, any item,,,,and shake off some collecting hobby cobwebs.

Just a thought

Eric

W1 German sack, the straps are dated tornistor with the correct hardware, quick release right shoulder. Almost identical style was still being used 1950's by the Swiss Army, which I found at a US Army Surplus store once, used it for years, camping, gigs,etc. note the haube cover fabric.

Eric

P5213318.JPG

P5213318 (2).jpg

P5213317.JPG

P5213316.JPG

P5213317.JPG

P5213316.JPG

Chip

Very hard to make out the maker on the shoulder straps its something like L. Regenspurgernacht ? the town is quite clear Mannheim 1915 & B.A.X 1915 stamped. Yes thanks I saw the one in Kraus,

Chip what are the B.A. repair shops called in German and maybe a stamp example, I had it on the net the other night then lost it.

Eric

Eric,

The Hersteller is "L. Regensburgers Nachf.".

The normal stamp for the repair workshops looks like "J.B.A.X" That is "Instandsetzungsamt (des) B.A.X"

Thanks Chip, could the stamps also be B.I.A.X. or I.B.A.X within a square cartouche, or no? As a side line I've tried before to find how many Corps had repair shop locals but its difficult. I have to do me searches in German which, to me looks like Chinese!

Eric