News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German Helmet Camouflage Paint

To the they used anything brigade, its about time maybe 'experts' will finally take note and I personally hope will help new & old collectors alike.

Regards

There has been some loud and on-going controversy concerning alleged "camouflaged German helmets." 
    In recent years, a flood of these have swamped the market, enriching the few and deluding the many.
     In January of 1943, the base color of all German Wehrmacht equipment was changed from dark grey to dark yellow.
     This base coat was permanent. 
    In addition, various units in the field were supplied with so-called "tarnpasten" or camouflage pastes. 
    These consisted of olive green, red brown and white (for winter use). 
    These paints were glycol based and were mixed with water to apply in season. 
    It should be noted that these colors were removable with water and a brush when the seasons changed.
     If the camouflage colors are not removable with water and are permanent, they are nothing more than modern hobby model paints, designed for use on model armored vehicles. Therefore, if one has a helmet with permanent camouflage paint, and paint applied delicately with a hobby airbrush, it is a repainted helmet whose value has been destroyed.
    The spraying of paint during the Second World War was done with a compressor and large spray gun and the delicate colors on helmets one now sees on all the best sites are modern repaints, designed to defraud. 
    Such appellations as "The Anzio" model, the "Stalingrad" pattern or the "Normandy" pattern are totally invented for the purpose of deceit. 
    One notes with amusement the frenzy of very amateur and very ignorant collectors, and dealers, frantically denying what I have just written.
    Note that the Verordnungs orders, published and distributed,  of the services contained all of the information I have stated above

Eric,

I know the site that you lifted that from and it is a good read at times, I was only concerned that at one point he came across as a Holocaust Denier.  I understand why the 'Burgundy' lot hate it as the sheep would be worried.  That said there are no absolutes and I am sure soldiers used what ever came to hand so at times an open mind other times clearly not.  The problem is there is a 'God' in that area and he is dictating to the hobby and the market what is and isn't correct and no one dare challenge him.  A very sad state to be in.  Please see attached an original DAK helmet with locally sourced paint.  Not really it is just my old lid from Op Granby, no helmet covers were available so we used some local 'acquired' paint, I think it was stolen from the US Marines.  If we had not gotten any I am sure we would have pillaged the Saudies.

CIMG9762.JPG

CIMG9763.JPG

CIMG9764.JPG

CIMG9766.JPG

Edited by Jock Auld

Hi Jock

I didn't lift it, it was sent to me during personal correspondence pretty much sums up what I was told as a young teenager. I didn't give it too much thought back then sadly those old timers are gone, its a lot more informatively put than I could type it. I was more interested in girls,music,motorbikes and cars, and oh yea I suppose.....school homework :wacky:. I will say one thing I can't for the life of me remember seeing a TR camo for sale,, sure they were helmets but rough used in the war with 'stinky' liners we used to rip off wire and throw it away, now its a big deal to have it lol! I never heard the term Normandy camo until I moved to the States, things like that etc, what's pea green?  frozen, del-monte or mushy colour lol!

Other things I'm not bothered about now, it should always be about the artifact imo. creeps go personal baiting to get folks banned, they stay you go,I liked to think of forums as a room full of interested parties, would people ask others to leave? no. that's all I have to say on that subject.

Cheers

:)

Eric,

Sorry that may not have come across correctly but the article is in the public domain is what I meant and is a good read.  I don't doubt these camos were out there but back then but folks were not that interested in them I dare say.  It is with the onset of these sites collectively and their use for marketing purposes by the dealers to drive what is fashionable to own now that grates a bit.  I do think of forums as rooms of interested parties for sure but all too often for very different reasons.  Dealers should be visible on all sites before things may improve at all but I personally think it has gone too far we are holed below the water line and it is just a matter of time before we go the way of stamps and trains etc.  To that end I have tried not to comment anywhere if I have nothing posative to say so that means I am quite quiet these days.