News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

It looks like a zinc piece. Not sure if you can date it from that alone. The pin could be from the era, though I have not seen one pressed in place like this. The "2" on the back also makes me think of some sort of mass production, but who knows. Just some thoughts.....

We had a million discussions about the original Edelweiß. The problem is, no-one knows, what was in the box with the 20.000 pieces...

The fact is: The Alpenkorps Edelweiß was the same as the Edelweiß worn by the troops of the k.u.k. XIV.Corps (Innsbruck)

A blossom, seven pollens, no stalk, punched from sheet iron. ("... aus Eisenblech gestanzte Edelweißblüte mit sieben goldgelben Dolden, ohne Stiel." -  source: Die Adjustierung des k.u.k. Heeres 1915-1918, vol. 3:  Die feldgraue Uniform, by Hermann Hinterstoisser)

Indeed, they have more in comman with WW2. I have seen a WW2 maker of assault badges who also had different munbers on the back as well as the "O" marks ... combine that with Zink and it makes me think 3rd Reich.

Some Gebirgsjäger units wore the edelweiss on the schirmmütze under the eagle I think?

Chip!

Right underneath the Edelweiß you see a yardstick. The distance between two numbers is the measure for a length. In this case from 11 up to 14. That means approx 3cm.

Oh, my god, am I arrogant... :D But fortunately you know me and my bad humour, mate!!!!! :beer:

Edited by The Prussian