News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi.

I have just got this pennant and I would like some opinions on this.

I have posted it on WAF and 1 person thought this migh be a post war pennant.

Here is a link to the flag:

http://home.online.no/~krheriks/bilder/km_pennant.htm

I talked to the women I bought it from and she told me that this pennant was the one shown in the book:

Die deutsche Wehrmacht, Bd.2, Die Kriegsmarine von Adolf Schlicht, John R. Angolia.

Here is the mail she sendt me:

the owner of this pennon is known! He was active in the second world war as a colonel. Recently he has passed away and the pennon comes from his inheritance. The author Adolf Schlicht has in his book " The German armed forces - The Navy Volume II " the genuineness of the pennon confirms! I ask you to think over again the decision to the return, because the piece is real guaranteed! I give you a guarantee on it! If you liked to return him, nevertheless, then please to my address

So as you can see, the return policy is ok.

This is what the book says:

Day Badge (Dienstabzeichen) / Duty badge of "officers of the watch" (Wachoffizier - W.O.: The yellow pressed metal badge identified the officer of the watch on ships or the "duty officer" (Offizier vom Dienst - O.v.D.) of land units. It consisted of an oval oakleaf wreath surrounding a fouled anchor. The regulation size was 6.4x5.2cm. but this varied. The reverse was hollow-pressed and had a pin attachment, spring clip or two loops and a cotter-key type pin.

I really need your opinion on this one please and if anyone has the book, please scan the picture and post it here. I don't have that book and I would really like to see the picture in that book.

Best regards,

Andr

Edited by NOR_collector

I have no opinion on this one since it could be post war, or war, or nothing at all. I do not know. My question really is, what the heck was it for? A pennant for the Office of the Watch? I just am trying to see why this would be needed.

Most warships fly pennants only to signify if the Captain is aboard or not, or if it is a flagship, if the Commodore or Admiral is aboard or not.

A pennant for an OOD in port? Why? There must be an OOD so what is the purpose? He is the bored guy on the quarterdeck waiting to get relieved so he can go get some work done.

That said, there might be, I just am thinking on my keyboard right now to look at this thing logically.

John

Thanks for the reply.

I have mailing with the person that I bought this pennant from who runs a antique store in Germany.

Here are the reply's that I have got so far:

Hello,

enclosed the Scan of the book of Adolf Schlicht, the number ISBN is 3613016567.

here the link with Amazon. http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASI...649889-6082434

mr. Schlicht had this pennon in the hand, and said that he is original. hey can be sure 100% .

I also got this scan with the e-mail

This is the last mail that I have received.

Hi Andre,

i have over again with H. Schlicht, jun calls up, today he has come again from Leipzig and tomorrow will announce itself to you.

Bye

I have also asked if H. Schlich or maybe hes son can make a certificate for this pennant.

If someone knows KM it has to be Adolf Schlicht and John R. Angolia

I will keep you all updated on this.

One more thing.

Does anyone know why this is in the german version of the book and not in the english version?

Best regards,

Andr

Edited by NOR_collector

Here is a new update on the pennant: 29.03.2006

I just received a e-mail from Rainer Schlicht (son of Adolf Schlicht)

Hello Andr?,

The pennant was checked by my father. It was manufacured about 1940 and he told me that it is an original, without any doubt. The condition is excellent, probably it was protected by a celluloid protective cover.

Best regards,

Rainer Schlicht

I have asked a coupple of question regarding this pennant and I have also asked if he or he's father can make some sort of certificate (like niemann) regarding this pennant.

I'll let you all know when I have new updates.

/Andr

Here is a new update on the pennant: 29.03.2006

I just received a e-mail from Rainer Schlicht (son of Adolf Schlicht)

Hello Andr?,

The pennant was checked by my father. It was manufacured about 1940 and he told me that it is an original, without any doubt. The condition is excellent, probably it was protected by a celluloid protective cover.

Best regards,

Rainer Schlicht

I have asked a coupple of question regarding this pennant and I have also asked if he or he's father can make some sort of certificate (like niemann) regarding this pennant.

I'll let you all know when I have new updates.

/Andr?

Well, that is good enough for me. I also was doing a little more thinking about why this pennant would be used. It could be that the OOW was responsible for a nest of small boats, like e-boats or u-boats, in port where the senior man on board was a petty officer. Therefore this OOW had a vehicle in which he flew the pennant so that everyone knew he was in that vehicle. My point is that one junior officer was responsible, as the OOW, for all the little boats around the pier in his squadron. Something like that anyway.

Remember, there were all kinds of small boats in the German WWII Navy, picket boats, minewseeper boats, they all certainly did not have an officer on each one all the time when inport.

For larger ships, like I said, I do not think such a pennant was necessary unless there was a special little mast on the quarterdeck that flew it in the German Navy.

For example, in the US Navy in WWII, the OOD inport had a spyglass sort of device to watch for any Admirals heading his way so honors could be rendered.

So I think your research has paid off and you have found something new, at least for me. Good work.

John

Well, that is good enough for me. I also was doing a little more thinking about why this pennant would be used. It could be that the OOW was responsible for a nest of small boats, like e-boats or u-boats, in port where the senior man on board was a petty officer. Therefore this OOW had a vehicle in which he flew the pennant so that everyone knew he was in that vehicle. My point is that one junior officer was responsible, as the OOW, for all the little boats around the pier in his squadron. Something like that anyway.

Remember, there were all kinds of small boats in the German WWII Navy, picket boats, minewseeper boats, they all certainly did not have an officer on each one all the time when inport.

For larger ships, like I said, I do not think such a pennant was necessary unless there was a special little mast on the quarterdeck that flew it in the German Navy.

For example, in the US Navy in WWII, the OOD inport had a spyglass sort of device to watch for any Admirals heading his way so honors could be rendered.

So I think your research has paid off and you have found something new, at least for me. Good work.

John

Finally something good happens to me too!! :beer:

If I could get a certificate or he's signature on a paper that confirms that this is an original OOD pennant, then everything has turned out great.

I have never seen a pennant like this for sale before so all i need to do now is to figure out the value.

Andr?