News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I think there are two names on this document. I cant read it and even tell what the German words or names are. I would like the names and birthdays and if there birthplace and parents are on this document that as well
    Thanks
    John

s-l1600.jpg

One name

Musketier

Julius Friedrich Schmidt

born on December 19, 1885 at Zeulenroda in the district of Greiz of Fürstentum Reuß (older line)

he served from October 10, 1907 to September 27, 1909 in the 8th coy of Infanterie Regiment Nr.96 with "very good" conduct.

Edited by Naxos

The officer who signed the document on behalf of the company commander appears to be Lt. Hermann Dyckhoff, who died in French captivity on 10 Sept. 1914 as an Oberleutnant in Fliegerabteilung Nr. 6.

By the way, for those who don't know how German names work, the underlining on Julius means that was the name he went by, or Rufname.  When one had multiple given names, the Rufname was often the first name, as is usual in English, but could also be the second or a later name.  For example, Generalmajor Hermann Delius was Eduard Karl Johannes Hermann Delius. In printed sources, the Rufname was often shown with extra space between the letters, such as:

"Delius, Eduard Karl Johannes H e r m a n n"

This often causes problems with scans of older books, because the OCR software sometimes does not recognize the name due to the extra space.