Hello all,

Have signed up to this forum as I have become the keeper of my great-grandfather's medals. Some I have found out about through Google. But some I can't seem to find info on. What's the process for asking about these ? Should I just post pictures of the lot ? 

Cheers in advance. 

You mean the two one in separate photo's?

Looks like a group of a career officer who started in WW1 (as NCO, an officer to be first went through the ranks as part of his education). That explains the lower ranks medals from WW1. Seems he saw no active frontservice in WW2 though. If you give his name/location of birth/year of birth I can look him up.

In the two seperate photo's are:

Hungarian medal for long service (officers) 2nd class for 30 years of service

And the Hungarian military variation (ribbon) of the Merit Medal in Bronze (also called signum laudis)

Regrds, Erik

The names of the medals on the big picture (Hungarian names):

1. Erdélyi Emlékérem, 2. Magyar Háborús Emlékérem karddal és sisakkal, 3. Signum Laudis (Horthy-era, peacetime ribbon)

4. Sebesültek Érme egy sebesülési sávval, 5. Nagyezüst Vitézségi Érem, 6. Kisezüst Vitézségi Érem, 7. Signum Laudis, hadiszalagon, kardokkal (WWI)

8. II. osztályú Tisztviselői Szolgálati Jel, 9. Károly Csapatkereszt, 10. Katonai Érdemkereszt III. osztálya, hadiszalagon kardokkal, 11. Nemzetvédelmi Kereszt.

The correct order: 10, 7, 3, 5, 6, 9, 4, 11, 2, 8, 1

I agree with Erik, but the long service medal is not for officers but military officials. Much rarer version.

He started as line officer, later became a military official. 

Thats amazing. Thank you both very much. His name was Kásás Árpád, my great-grandfather. He originated from Elõpatak, but I don't know what year he was born. I never met him, but I was very close to my granddad who passed these on to me. The only medal missing from his full set is unfortunately his vitez. I have a photo of him in full uniform, with all the medals. I will try and find it to post. Will also try and find out more on the dates. Cheers.

Ha was a reserve officer in the first world war (ensign in 1914, promoted to 2nd lieutenant in 1916, promoted to 1st Lt at the end of the war) fighting in the 23rd Honvéd Infantry Regiment, later in 313rd Honvéd Infantry Regiment

After that he became a paymaster officer (számvivő tiszt in hungarian) hence the long time service award for military officials.

Edited by wraith42

Vitéz Kásás Árpád was born in 1896.02.21. His mother's name was Molnár Ágnes. His highest rank was paymaster director (equivalent to Lt. Colonel).

He joined to the Vitéz Order in 1928. 

The Hungarian Military Archives have a file about him. The reference number of the file is 1896/1105.

The homepage of the Archives (Hungarian only):

http://militaria.hu/adatb/leveltariuj/

Edited by Markgraf

22 hours ago, Markgraf said:

I agree with Erik, but the long service medal is not for officers but military officials. Much rarer version. He started as line officer, later became a military official. 

Very good! I missed that. The only difference is the ribbon?

Regards, Erik

Edited by erikscollectables

Erik: Yes, the only difference was the ribbon.

The different ribbons introduced in 1942.

Left to right: combatant officers and the enlisted, non-combatant officers (doctors, judges etc), military officials.

1920_k_sz_06.jpg

The long service medal for military officials is rarer. The forgers like it...

Edited by Markgraf

Yes a big thanks to you all for your answers. I want to get my collection cleaned, ribbons freshened up and then perhaps framed. Any guidance as to where or how I could get this done ? 

Hello,

A lovely collection to have....

i have just seen your new thread updating your research,

good work!

best wishes

tony