News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unidentified medal

Patrick824

Hello,

I inherited the following medal which originates from the Autria-Hungary empire. The center is composed of a 20-kreuzer silver coin dated 1833. I believe the medal is from the end of the 19th century. Who can help me identify the medal ?

AutricheHongrie 20Kr.jpg

Salut Patrick,

unfortunately it`s what you see...20-kreuzer in some brooch. Nothing official and nothing to do with Austrian decorations. Being frank…it`s worthless. Sorry.

Regards,

Tifes/Tom

Hi Tifes/Tom,

Thank you for your frank opinion. I agree it may be worthless (although I am not interested in its commercial value) and I confess It is certainly not a military medal.

Now, it is there and I do not believe my ancestor (in fact, an ancestor's brother) forged it. He used to work in Budapest at the end of the 19th century. The medal could mark some comemoration or commercial/artistic exhibition or else. Do you know of any forum dealing with non military artifacts from Austria/Hungary ?

Regards

Hi Patrick,

I am not into numismatics, but as I know this is just regular small coin which commonly circulated. I do not see anything special on it. Maybe somebody thought that`s precious. Inner circle with enamels might be made of gold, but enamels are of poor quality. Any official decorations makers of late 19 century like Rothe or Mayers  wouldn't make it. These companies had also been jewelry makers, but this is too low craftsmanship for them. It probably served for some private purpose and I would assume that coin was personally valuable item for somebody who decided to place it in this brooch. Just my personal opinion. Maybe somebody can shed more light into it. Sorry, but I cant help you more.    

Regards,

Tifes/Tom