News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The men are wearing late-WW2 British battledress and General Service caps. The cap badge worn by the right hand man isn't immediately identifiable. The flags and bunting suggest this is a picture from VE Day or perhaps a liberation photo. Something about the subjects makes me wonder whether this might have been taken in Belgium or Holland, for example.

The only easy answer is to blow the photo up until the badges are visible, but I assume you've thought of that.  OTOH, with your father's full name and birthdate, one of our British members may - not 'may' - be able to extract somehting from the WWII records - always a somewhat dicey proposition.

As a direct descendant you are entitled to your father's service records, I'm sure, but being in Canada and not a WWII expert, I'm not sure how much info. is needed for the records blokes to search for them for you.  here is an address which lays out how to go about that.  Seems fairly simple [in theory].  

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records 

Good luck with the search!  

Thanks Peter, yes I have done the zoom bit, but can't for the life of me see any badge on him I do have other photos and its the same with them, the web site is a little confusing not sure if there is a fee for next of kin, will wait a bit to see if anyone comes along, and I have a feeling that my father wasn't in the Signals I would be more likely go towards the Essex Regiment having lived in Epping at the time.

Edited by Anthony Gostling
    wording

Tony, I commented on this on FB.  One soldier appears to have a Pioneer badge, another RE but neither is clear.

I did not know you were in Wales, my own home.

For records, you have to pay a fee (£30 I think) even though you are related to him.  You also need a death certificate for him.  I got my Dads a few years back, who was Royal Signals, 53rd Welsh Div (TA) from Cardiff.