News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some general questions:

1. What the heck is a beamte? I see the term often, what does the guy do?

2. Were the Germany Navy See batalion officers Navy officers or Army? Were they like the US Marine Corps?

Thanks

Some general questions:

1. What the heck is a beamte? I see the term often, what does the guy do?

2. Were the Germany Navy See batalion officers Navy officers or Army? Were they like the US Marine Corps?

Thanks

Greetings Paul,

1. Beamte or officials are quite a complicated subject. The term literally translates as an "official", i.e. a public servant. For the purpose of the imperial military there were two distinct types: Military officials and civilian officials of the military administration. They carried out essential military administrative tasks such as as logistics, military law, barracks, military hospital and garrison housing administration, weapons maintenance, saddlery, clerical and other administrative non front line functions essential to the running of the army. In most other armies these guys would have been soldiers in support functions. They were subject to military law but were not in the German sense soldiers. In a modern amy these guys would be officers or NCOS in logistic branches of the service.

2. See-Bataillon officers were technically officers of the Kaiserliche Marine. Like their counterparts in the colonial troops they had first to"retire" from the army on transfer to the See-Bataillone. The US or Royal Marines I think is quite a good analogy. Their promotions, postings retirements etc were initially listed amongst those of the Kaiserliche Marine (Navy) personnel.

Regards

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

The Sea Battalion officers were claimed by BOTH services and so appear in the Rank Lists of both. The army considered them THEIR officers, on temporary assignment-- which was usually the case.