M40

Spasm

An original Quist M40 brought back to life. Had holes drilled for an applied badge and a 'orrible grey and red enamel paint job.

Lots of elbow grease but worth it I think with the 1940 dated bread bag strap.

IMG_04221.jpg

IMG_04181.jpg

IMG_04231.jpg

IMG_04261.jpg

Another abused Quist M40 brought back to life. I had another bread bag strap hanging around so did it as a Lufty to match. Notice the brighter shade to the helmet and decal under the strap.

IMG_04311.jpg

IMG_04321.jpg

IMG_04371.jpg

IMG_04391.jpg

Same as that Jock, I would doubt anything that isn't just plain grey. There wasn't that much chicken wire or camouflage paint around in those days. I would put money on nearly every fancy helmet being a hobby craft one.

Hardly ever did a Troopie slop paint around on his helmet and gear, it was already miles too heavy in it's original state. I've even seen textured and camouflage painted gas mask tins for sale, good grief, and at a very heavy price too. 

I don't doubt that some of it is the real McCoy but would I pay those sort of prices, not a hope. Stick with the skips and the known copies, it all looks pretty good in the war room/shed/cupboard/shelf/drawer/shoe box. And just how many people have actually wanted to have a look at your stuff and known anything about any of it?  

I try to keep them unobstrusive so as to not deter from the object I've painted. Larger would be easier and seeing as you've only just noticed it on yours then larger they will be. Thanks Tony. 

IMG_0400.JPG

Edited by Spasm

Yep, a Lebel grease tin. Grease one side and boot polish the other I think. Was also used to hold matches and the like when empty.

Given to me by a good guy who gets me relics on his regular visits to Flanders. It'll be given back to him, now it's painted, at the next militaria show I see him. Only right as he's a jolly good chap.

IMG_0397.JPG

IMG_0398.JPG

Thanks Tony :)

How about this one then? Weighs in at 7lbs! Blimey, they must've had big necks....

The inscription under the rim reads: Ers.Batl.Res.J.R.Nr.11   1.K.Nr.1201.Nester

IMG_04651.jpg

IMG_04661.jpg

IMG_04691.jpg

IMG_04761.jpg

IMG_04781.jpg

Edited by Spasm

Gone from M40 to M16s.

This one sent home as a souvenir. You can just make out the red Censor's stamp on the parcel label. Although a stamped relic ET66, it's been brought back from the brink to look pretty good on the shelf. Just waiting for the liner and chin strap.

IMG_04901.jpg

IMG_04971.jpg

IMG_04981.jpg

IMG_04931.jpg

Edited by Spasm