News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

POW Gren. Rgt. 464 Tracer Round?

Picked this set up a few weeks ago to an Unteroffizer of 2./Gren.Rgt.464

Certs and medals

IMG_06991.jpg

IMG_07021.jpg

IMG_07041.jpg

His ID tag

IMG_07081.jpg

A few photos, one of him at Reserve Hospital I in Warsaw 

IMG_07151.jpg

IMG_07161.jpg

And his record of POW transits and camps

IMG_07051.jpg

I also found this in the leather ID holder

IMG_07231.jpg

IMG_07241.jpg

IMG_07251.jpg

I haven't put a micro whatsit on it but it measures by eye for a 7.92 round. It's been a while but am I correct in saying this is a tracer round? There is what could be remains of a painted tip if you look closely. 

Nice group, I don't think the round is anything to do with his injury as it has not been fired (no rifling grooves). Don't know if it is a tracer, it may be a AP with a heavy metal core too?  Maybe he was doing a 'Baldrick' and had the bullet with his name on it? LOL.

Jock, yes, could be AP I suppose although it doesn't have a boat tail, just straight. 

Was it normal for POWs to move around quite so much in the US? 

Apparently they were transferred to 2./Gren.Rgt.473 within 253 Inf. Div. and surrendered to the Soviets at Mahren. However, some of the Div didn't take to that idea and marched 10 miles to the US lines to hand in their rifles. Hence the tour of the US. 

No idea about PW movement but I am sure a lot of logistical and security issues played a part in their movement?

Don't blame them for tabbing the extra 10 miles and very lucky they weren't turned round and sent back to the Soviets as the Americans did that to a few units I read somewhere.