News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need Info on Hessen Order of the Iron Helmet

I recently ran across a photo of a replica of "The Hessen Order of the Iron Helmet" (Orden vom Eisernem Helm) and I was intrigued.  However, I've scoured the Internet and can find very little information about this cross other than the following tidbits (see below).

I was hoping someone could provide some additional information about this award including 1) what was it awarded for (bravery, merit, service, etc.), 2) when was it last awarded (Franco-Prussian War, WW1, etc.), and 3) when was the 2nd version of this order first awarded.

Here are the tidbits that I found.  (This exact same information appears on nearly every website I found.)  

>>It was established on 18 March 1814 by Elector Wilhelm I of Hesse-Kassel (or Hesse-Cassel).  Maximilian Gritzner describes the model and the statutes of the order as "influenced by the example of the Iron Cross".  There were two versions of this award: 1st version had a knight's helmet-type device attached to a two-tone silver cross bottony (trefoil) while 2nd version had same device but this time it was attached to a silver cross cross pattée instead of a cross bottony."

Special thanks to anyone that can help me out.  I really appreciate it.

!!Iron_Helmet.jpg

It was awarded for services rendered during the war against France

It had 3 classes: Grand Cross, Knight 1st Class and Knight 2nd Class, but it appears only an undifferentiated Knight was ever made/awarded.

The ribbon is a reddish-purple with white edge stripes.

The first type of badge (1814) is described as a Brabant cross (the trefoil ends one), the second type is a German cross, issued in 1815.

Awards ceased in 1816, with there being some 147 awards in total.

Sorry,  that's all I have to contribute!