News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal to a British Veteran of the Napoleonic Wars

Just thought I would share with you an image of a Waterloo medal in my collection.  William Clements was a soldier in the 40th (2nd Somersetshire) Regiment of Foot who was a veteran of the campaigns:in Holland, Egypt, South America, Peninsula War, North America and Waterloo.  During his service he was wounded in the Egyptian campaign (1801-02) and again at the attack on the city of Buenos Ayres (1807).  In addition, he survived the wrecking of the transport ship Baring in Bantry Bay, Ireland in October 1814 when en route to North America during the war of 1812.  Returning from America in 1815 his regiment was sent straight to Flanders where Clements was engaged against Napoleon's forces at the memorable battle of Waterloo. 

I particuarly like the unofficial engraved suspension and engraved slide fitted to his Waterloo medal.  He did not survive long enough to claim a Military General Service Medal for his services in the Peninsula War (1808-14).

Paul

Clements Waterloo obverse.JPG

Paul, 

thanks for sharing, the Waterloo medal is my favourite campaign medal. What a fantastic medal you have there and quite the story.   I really like the period ribbon and - like you - the 'personal accoutrements'.  Yours, jealously, Owen!

7 hours ago, Owen said:

Paul, 

thanks for sharing, the Waterloo medal is my favourite campaign medal. What a fantastic medal you have there and quite the story.   I really like the period ribbon and - like you - the 'personal accoutrements'.  Yours, jealously, Owen!

Owen,

Thanks for reading my post.  I too like the Waterloo medal. Clements saw quite a bit of action in his time in the army.  He was discharged in 1819 by which time he was a Sergeant (he had previously lost that rank a couple of times during his career).

Paul

Paul.

Very nice medal, thanks for sharing, is your interest confined to the Napoleonic era or do you have medals to other periods? Either way I'm sure we would like to see more of your collection, especially if they are of such a similar high standard.

All the best Simon

34 minutes ago, coldstream said:

Paul.

Very nice medal, thanks for sharing, is your interest confined to the Napoleonic era or do you have medals to other periods? Either way I'm sure we would like to see more of your collection, especially if they are of such a similar high standard.

All the best Simon

Hello Simon, 

Glad you liked Clements' medal.  I was attracted to it by the recipient's breadth of service and the look of the medal.
    I also have interests in the early Victorian campaigns in India (Sutlej to Mutiny).  I'll dig out some photos of a couple of other medals that I have which I think have interesting stories.

Paul

15 hours ago, Paul_1957 said:

Owen,

Thanks for reading my post.  I too like the Waterloo medal. Clements saw quite a bit of action in his time in the army.  He was discharged in 1819 by which time he was a Sergeant (he had previously lost that rank a couple of times during his career).

Paul

Paul,

Seems we have similar interests - I also have a small collection to the early Victorian wars in India.  For me it's the possibility, for the long service soldiers, to have served in the Napoleonic campaign, Waterloo, India (Army of India Medal) and into the Gwalior etc/Punjab/Sutlej battles...although only ever personally seen one group that spans this whole period.   Makes for great research reading.  

The jewel in my collection (well my favourite anyway) is a Waterloo to an Ensign in the Royal Scots..one of only 2/10 Ensigns left alive and unscathed after QB and Waterloo...who went on to India after serving with the army of ccupation in France...to fight in the third Maratha war, at Seetabuldee and Nagpore (mentioned in a despatch) and then join a Detachment of the HEIC in reducing the Candeish hill forts, where he was wounded at the siege and storming of Malleygaum Fort (mentioned in the historical records of the Royal Scots).  He suffered the privations of India, for years, before finding himself in the West Indies (Dominica), where the yellow fever got him in 1831, as a Lt. I also have both his original commissioning parchments (Ensign in 1814 and Lt in 1820), both without purchase. So he didn't live to claim his AoI medal (Clasp Seetabuldee and Nagpore).   I also have an account of the voyage he took back to England (to recuperate after his wounds at Malleygaum)...with a mad and drunken sea Captain who verbally and physically abused his crew and passengers!  He was hauled before the Sea Lords for his behaviour and fined.

Sorry, went on a bit there!

look forward to seeing some of your other medals.

Owen

15 hours ago, Owen said:

Paul,

Seems we have similar interests - I also have a small collection to the early Victorian wars in India.  For me it's the possibility, for the long service soldiers, to have served in the Napoleonic campaign, Waterloo, India (Army of India Medal) and into the Gwalior etc/Punjab/Sutlej battles...although only ever personally seen one group that spans this whole period.   Makes for great research reading.  

The jewel in my collection (well my favourite anyway) is a Waterloo to an Ensign in the Royal Scots..one of only 2/10 Ensigns left alive and unscathed after QB and Waterloo...who went on to India after serving with the army of ccupation in France...to fight in the third Maratha war, at Seetabuldee and Nagpore (mentioned in a despatch) and then join a Detachment of the HEIC in reducing the Candeish hill forts, where he was wounded at the siege and storming of Malleygaum Fort (mentioned in the historical records of the Royal Scots).  He suffered the privations of India, for years, before finding himself in the West Indies (Dominica), where the yellow fever got him in 1831, as a Lt. I also have both his original commissioning parchments (Ensign in 1814 and Lt in 1820), both without purchase. So he didn't live to claim his AoI medal (Clasp Seetabuldee and Nagpore).   I also have an account of the voyage he took back to England (to recuperate after his wounds at Malleygaum)...with a mad and drunken sea Captain who verbally and physically abused his crew and passengers!  He was hauled before the Sea Lords for his behaviour and fined.

Sorry, went on a bit there!

look forward to seeing some of your other medals.

Owen

Hello Owen,

The recipient of your Royal Scots Waterloo Medal had an interesting career and an all too common premature ending due to disease. Having his commission documents is a nice bonus. Medals where the recipient had long campaign service and/or an interesting story are fun to research and they often lead you to delve into bits of long forgotten history.

I've just posted two more topics showing medals in my collection (a Punjab Campaign medal and a MGS medal).

Cheers

Paul