News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Piped Artillery Major Tunic - Opinions, Please...

Guest Rick Research

No name label?

As always, am rather concerned that having loops for ONLY a 2 ribbon bar is not normal for such a rank.

Sure, they could have been a 12 and 4 or an 18 and 4

but that kind of wear would have been unusual on a fancy dress tunic-- even full medal bar might have been worn on this for special home events.

No name label?

As always, am rather concerned that having loops for ONLY a 2 ribbon bar is not normal for such a rank.

Sure, they could have been a 12 and 4 or an 18 and 4

but that kind of wear would have been unusual on a fancy dress tunic-- even full medal bar might have been worn on this for special home events.

Hi Rick,

The button hole awards would count for two (to make four)... right?

Paul

Hi Rick -

No name label, unfortunately. I've been fishing around the various forums to get some sort of composite feeling on this - I am more concerned with the fact it only has the one breast badge - I would expect at least a Flak badge on a Major, as well as the screw-back award...

Don

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rick -

No name label, unfortunately. I've been fishing around the various forums to get some sort of composite feeling on this - I am more concerned with the fact it only has the one breast badge - I would expect at least a Flak badge on a Major, as well as the screw-back award...

Don

I have never seen a parade tunic (waffenrock) with fron pockets.

rgds

Pikestaff

Hi Pikey -

Techinically, it is not a Waffenrock (parade tunic) it is a piped field blouse - what we in the US refer to as a "Class A" uniform, or a walking out tunic.

Don

Guest Rick Research

Actually, a field artillery officer would not normally have a general Assault badge since artillery were normally behind the lines, not in the hand to hand action required for any of the Assault badges.

What bugs me is that decades of monkey fingers have "improved" perfectly good tunics by upping rank...

Majors and Obersts ("inexplicably" under-decorated, all) abound...

where are the perfectly good "normal" Leutnants and Oberleutnants? :rolleyes:

Is that orange/brown piping around the top of the cuffs? Can't say I've seen this before.

Regards,

Pete

hello once more, ineric lefevre's book 'la wehrmacht' page 124, bottom left hand corner, is a photo. of a piped field service tunic, showing white piping around the collar, down the front closure, and around the top of the cuffs, will do a scan if you want one/

?

rgds

pikestaff

Well, after much negotiation, here it is - mint condition save for one small 3 mm repair to the front lower skirt, super nice vibrant colors - all red :P . I was very relieved when I got it as having it in hand, it is completely legit - never messed with. I was concerned that this would end up being a post war promotion, but it is 100% un-dickified. I'll post more detailed pics in the next few days... My thanks to all of you for your advice and help!

Don

Edited by DonC