News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi guys,

I've just come into a few pounds by virtue of my 35th birthday and I'm just deciding what to spend it on. I'm after building up my reference books on the Waffen SS and was considering the Kursk Vol 1-6 series by Remy Spezzano. Has anybody seen these books and if so would they recommend them?

Failing that can anybody suggest any other 'must have' books on the Waffen SS? (I prefer fact based reference works to simple memoirs)

Also, I recently purchased 'In good faith' The history of the 4th SS Polizei Panzer Grenadier Division volume 1 by Frederich Husemann. However, search as I might I have not been able to find a copy of volume 2. I have not even been able to find a name for it or even confirm that it was ever written. Has anybody ever heard of such a book or suggest where i might start looking?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Johnny

Thanks for that David.

I'll carry on my enquiries in an attempt to locate volume 2 in English!

Many thanks for the spelling correction, it certainly aids with the Google searches!!

Regards

Johnny

• 4 months later...

Here's a book that deals with some of the more obsure units in the SS, It does go into the SS Fschmjr and deals a lot with the end of the war.

Not much in it if you are looking for the majoor known unit's (there's tons of books out there on them), but still a good and interesting read and not overly expensive.:

FORGOTTEN LEGIONS

Obscure combat formations of the Waffen-SS

Antonio J Munoz

ISBN 0-7394-0817-8

Johnny,

Remy Spezzanos series on KURSK is outstanding. Cost is all relative, if you are a collector these are invaluable for period close up shots of SS Camo in wear. If you are a Model Builder some great tank shots. While there are some well known pictures in the series, many have never been shown, or are very obscure. These books are in my top 5 photo books. Highly Recommended in fact I was browsing my set at the weekend. Spezanos photo books are all outstanding. Platz Der Liebstandarte, For God and Fatherland are also excellent, the former has just been reprinted. Look on amazon you can pick up reasonably priced copies of the KURSK series.

Just my opinion of course.

Mark

Hi guys,

I've just come into a few pounds by virtue of my 35th birthday and I'm just deciding what to spend it on. I'm after building up my reference books on the Waffen SS and was considering the Kursk Vol 1-6 series by Remy Spezzano. Has anybody seen these books and if so would they recommend them?

Failing that can anybody suggest any other 'must have' books on the Waffen SS? (I prefer fact based reference works to simple memoirs)

Also, I recently purchased 'In good faith' The history of the 4th SS Polizei Panzer Grenadier Division volume 1 by Frederich Husemann. However, search as I might I have not been able to find a copy of volume 2. I have not even been able to find a name for it or even confirm that it was ever written. Has anybody ever heard of such a book or suggest where i might start looking?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Johnny

Mark,

Thanks for yours and everyone elses comments. I have to say from what I'd seen of the Kursk books on the net they did look good to me. I think the enthusiasm of your reply has swung it for me and I'll be investing in them very soon.

If anybody else has any other suggestions for reference works in addition to these I'd love to hear them.

(I'm particularly interested in The 4th SS 'Polizei' Panzergrenadier Division.)

Cheers

Johnny

• 3 months later...

Speaking of Munoz's work, I seem to remember hearing that the late Stumrbannfuehrer Milius, a commander of the SS-Fallschrimsjaegar-Battalion 500/600 disapproved of Munoz's descriptions. J.J Fedorowicz also published a divisional history of the 4. SS-Polizei Division, titles as 'In Good Faith'. You can check it out at their website.

K

• 4 weeks later...

Forgot to mention. 'Wenn Alle Bruder Schweigen' is a MUST have! There is an excellent introduction by Hausser, which was translated well by Peiper into English. It was first published in 1973 and has 1196 photographs. It is expensive but worth very penny, and costs less than all of RZM's Kursk volumnes added together, which has much less photographs.

K