News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My newest acquisition M1874 McKeever Ammo Pouch

buellmeister

Gentlemen, 

I recently ventured a little bit out of my collecting interests to obtain this piece.  It is a Model 1874 Ammo Pouch for the McKeever 45-70 round. These ammo pouches were issued most likely for the Indian Wars. (A rather dark period in American History)  This item has a Watervliet Arsenal mark as well as being stamped with a "16" and letter "D" on the enclosure flap.  I'm thinking this was issued to the 16th Infantry Co. D?  For those in the know, please feel free to chime in. What is interesting though the primers have been fired, all of the ammunition is period and has power in them. (Scratching head)

Thank you so much for any additional information you can provide. 

Regards, 

Joel 

20171123_064338.jpg

20171123_064351.jpg

20171123_064425.jpg

20171123_064416.jpg

20171123_064506.jpg

20171123_064403.jpg

"What is interesting though the primers have been fired, all of the ammunition is period and has power in them. (Scratching head)"

Have you actually pulled a bullet to verify that the cartridge fillings are powder?  One explanationmight be that they are inert rounds, made up using fired casings, bullets and some sort of filler to give them weight and intended for training purposes.

Hi, the brass in this box (which is a lot nicer than most) is from at least post 1900. I would imagine someone bought some raw .45-70 lead and spent casings for reloading purposes and did this to keep the loops taut. 

Original Indian Wars era .45-70's will be copper cased, which partially contributed to the massacre of the 7th Cavalry at Little Big Horn. Early .45-70's are also rimfire in lieu of being boxer primed like these are. 

That is a very nice McKeever, so many of these are getting torn up over the years. Congrats on a nice pickup! 

Stormrider, 

Thank you so much for your insight.  This is the first piece of its kind in my collection.   I'm more in tune with Imperial German collecting but will welcome all other historical artifacts. 

Thank you again!

Regards, 

Joel

Hi Joel, the 16 could be for the 16th Regiment as they did fight in the Indian Wars (and they're one of the few continuous Federal Units in US Army history), but it's hard to say for sure without a state mark if it could be a Militia unit too. 

I have a Trapdoor that was issued to a Nebraska Cavalry unit which was Federalized in the late 1880's.