News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Indian Contingent in MONUC medals?

hoopa

Hello all,

I was just wondering what, if any, medals besides the normal UN MONUC medal the Indian Contingent received.

I'm assuming the Videsh Seva medal but I'm unsure of that or anything else.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

The UN Medal, for sure, the Videsh Seva with 'CONGO' bar [1960-1964; 1999-??] and presumably any applcable gallantry ad long service medals.

This thread was started by Ed Haynes, who wrote 'Medals and Decorations of Independent India' and is certainly the greatest expert on the subject publishsing in English.  https://gmic.co.uk/topic/14655-india-videsh-seva-medal/

Thank you so much for your reply.

I posted this question on the topic that you referred to but I haven't been able to get an answer as of yet.

Would you happen to know if the Videsh Seva medal ever came with a document/certificate/diploma, etc.?

Thanks again!

No idea, I'm afraid but my guess would be 'yes'.  If you go to the expense and trouble of issuing the gongs, a bit of paper is not much more expense.

I'm afraid what very l;ittle expertise I have is in the pre-'47 Imperial Indian Army and  know lttle of the modern IA.  Ed, if you can get him to talk, is your man.  He was teaching in the US and travelling to the sub-continet to research, so no idea how busy he iis these days, but he should know.  Good luck in the hunt!

Peter 

Hello Hoopa,

Yes there is a certificate associated with every foreign mission you go are chosen for, for an example the U.N. medal and videsh seva medal associated to it will also have a completion/commendation certificate from head of mission and force commander.

Thank you as well Lone Wolf! 

One last thing, do you happen to know where I could find a copy of this document?

Any picture helps. 

Thanks again