News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Gents,

I've recently been able to acquire 2 campaign medals that I believe to have belonged to the same recipient :

General Service Medal, bar Iraq, to "4526 DVR. ALLAH DAD. S&T. CORPS" and India General Service Medal, bars Waziristan 1921-24 and Mohmand 1933, to "O-153463 DVR. ALLA DAD,17 D.T.T. COY."

Despite the missing "H" in the second medal's naming, could they indeed have been awarded to the same person ? As to the units involved, I think S&T Corps stands for Supply and Transport Corps but I have no idea as to what a D.T.T. company is other than presuming it is also transport related. I would appreciate being enlightened on the subject !

DSCN2363.thumb.JPG.c648eafdc4c4e0afe8a744f3561005f2.JPG

DSCN2359.thumb.JPG.30d37936a2edd8669d86c8a1ba900e41.JPGRegards,

Hendrik

Yes, the infamous 'Sausage and Tumtum' Corps.;)    They were officially was renamed the "Indian Army Service Corps" in 1923, which might explain the difference in the serial numbers, though 'Allah Dad', with or without the 'h' would not be an uncommon name in the Punjab.  'D.T.T.' might stand for Divisional Transport Txxx Company or something even more exotic. 

Major L. L. Gordon, in British Battles and Medals [4th edition] alleges that

'there were in addition [to the regiments] medals given to the Indian Army Service Corps and Medical Service unts and a host of small formations such as the Soda Water Sections whose titles illustrate the complexity of modern war.'

Combine that with Indian Mint staff only semi-fluent in the Roman alphabet - see dropped 'h' above - and the possibilities are endless.  Any one of the three letters in 'D.T.T.' might be an error, though I would look for 'Divisional...' were I you. 

Thank you, Peter, for your illuminating input ! Shall we settle on either "Divisional Train Transport"  or "Divisional Transport Train" for the time being and until a better description is offered ?:unsure:

Regards,

Hendrik