News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Recommended research book for SADF medals

Wessel Gordon

With the exception of a few foreign medals that caught my eye and that I bought I decided to focus my collection on South African Medals (specifically post WW2). 

Is there a book or research site that someone can recommend?

Fairly old and with mostly lineart of the medals discussed:

Monick, S. (1988) South African Military Awards 1912-1987, South African National Museum of Military History.

The odd copy can be aqcuired via Amazon and other online used book sellers.

You can find quite a few links from https://www.medals.org.uk/south-africa/south-africa-links.htm..  and look at the medal list itself there, of course.

Edited by Megan

Hi, not sure if you have seen the following two books:

1. South African Orders, Decorations & Medals, by Alexander, Barron & Bateman.

2. A Guide to South African Military Awards, by Paul Matthysen

The first has been out of print for some time! But both do turn up on "Bid or Buy" or some of the South African dealers / auctioneers 

I've come across a book by Taffrail about SADF medals etc on BidorBuy but the seller was honest enough to display pictures of damage to the book. Some pages either have huge holes in them or are so stuck together it would basically only be good enough to start a fire.

I'll keep on looking, though.

Edited by Wessel Gordon

• 1 month later...
    On 8 June 2019 at 23:18, gavinmedals said:

Hi, not sure if you have seen the following two books:

1. South African Orders, Decorations & Medals, by Alexander, Barron & Bateman.

2. A Guide to South African Military Awards, by Paul Matthysen

The first has been out of print for some time! But both do turn up on "Bid or Buy" or some of the South African dealers / auctioneers 

Hi, just as an FYI, there is currently a copy of the book by Alexander, Barron & Bateman available on Bid or Buy (SA). (Note, I have no link to the seller)