News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Shell

Ralph A

• 1 month later...

I've been searching my books trying to ID the markings but haven?t got far.

The best I can do is PDP = Parc d'Artillerie de Place de Paris, the shell marking is a different matter as the best I could find was PE & Co. which is British. Couldn?t find anything for PE & M Co.

Tony

• 6 months later...

I've been searching my books trying to ID the markings but haven?t got far.

The best I can do is PDP = Parc d'Artillerie de Place de Paris, the shell marking is a different matter as the best I could find was PE & Co. which is British. Couldn?t find anything for PE & M Co.

Tony

Tony,

The PE & M Co. marking is Poole Engineering and Machine Company of Baltimore,Maryland USA. They also subcontracted parts for the 37mm Infantry cannon to the Maryland Pressed Steel Company in Hagerstown, Maryland. The cannon was proof fired near the Hagerstown Factory in ClearSpring , Maryland. It is interesting that the barracks to house personnel and a long concrete trench with three bunkers in a forgotten farm field abandon since 1919 still exist to this day. Only 300 US built 37mm Infantry guns made it to Europe before the war ended.

Kind Regards Bob

Ralph,

The projectile is US made with the "Mark I" designation possibly having a naval connection. The case is french made for their 37mm gun. So the pieces do not match each other. Now for the good news. The only unit that I can find as having been at Dieulouard, was the 2nd Division which contained one Marine brigade. The Marines were part of the Navy and were naturally supplied equipment and ordnance through Navy channels. That may very well be a piece of USMC trench art. :jumping::o

Dan

Edited by Daniel Murphy