News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 - South African Infantry Cap Badge - TIPTAFT B.HAM

That is interesting.  I know that any number of the Canadian battalions sent to England in 1914-16 had badges made privately there, either with or without official permission, and that many of them were stamped with makers names on the reverse. 

I believe that this was done because  there was a shortage of the badges to units who were raised hurriedly in Canada and sent overseas straightway - perhaps as few as one per man, which wouldn't accommodate several sets of headgear.  I also suspect that many units had 'smart looking' versions of the badges made by private purchase after the Canadian made ones were deemed too crude for walking out and such.

Nice find!

Thanks Peter.

I have a pair of South African 2nd Regiment collar badges each with the Maker's Mark of G & S Co 112 Regent St W.

I remember hearing that the four South African Infantry regiments and other associated units (Heavy Artillery, SASC, e.tc.)  had to get their badges made in England as they were volunteer units and fell under the British Army.

Anyway, as you say, a nice find and one I will happily keep.