News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Women in great war

lone wolf

Recently added a single war medal awarded to a lady for services during world war 2

British war medal -

278395 PTE  NOORI BEGUM I.W.A.C.

I wonder if anymore to this unit are in existence. 

The Women's Auxiliary Corps (India) was established in 1942 and by 1944-45 numbered about 10,000 officers and enlisted ranks.  Presumably a good number of these would have qualified for the  War Medal 1939-45, as the qualification period was 28 days full time service.

Full-time paid members of the specially approved colonial and other military forces, militarised police or militarised civilian bodies which were eligible to qualify for campaign stars, were also eligible to qualify by 28 days of service during the qualifying period as laid down for the force concerned:  Wikipedia.

Alan Harfield, an expert on the British Indian Army, has written an excellent article, which you can read for free or download for a small price here: 

Journal of the Society for Army Historical Research
    Vol. 83, No. 335 (Autumn 2005), pp. 243-254 (12 pages)

The download link is to a group photo of No. 2 Company, Bombay WAC(I)

download

Edited by peter monahan