News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New Ribbon Bar - Correct order of Precedence

I ordered a ribbon bar of my six British medals that I had at that point and received the ribbon bar today. I asked them to follow the prescribed order of precedence but something looks off. Any comments are welcome.

Top row: MBE (Military Type), Victoria Cross

Bottom Row: George Cross, DSO, DSC and Military Cross.

My question: according to my research the DSO (as an order) was created well before the MBE and therefor should have pride of place at the right and then the MBE with the four ''medals'' below them. Am I correct or am I further into dotage than I think I am?

Kind regards,

Wessel Gordon

IMG_20190923_131341.jpg

The Victoria Cross and the George Cross take precedence over all other honours, awards and medals. The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire consists of five levels, the three highest levels take precedence over the DSO and the lowest two levels are preceded by the DSO. The five levels are Knight Grand Cross (GBE), Knight Commander (KBE), Commander (CBE), Officer (OBE) and Member (MBE). The same medal ribbon is also used for the British Empire Medal. That gives you six choices as follows, VC, GC, GBE, DSO, DSC, MC., or VC, GC, KBE, DSO, DSC, MC., or VC, GC, CBE, DSO, DSC, MC., or VC, GC, DSO, OBE, DSC, MC., or VC, GC, DSO, MBE, DSC, MC., or VC, GC, DSO, DSC, MC, BEM. Your VC and GC medal ribbons are missing their miniature crosses.   Pete.

Pete,

I noticed the missing crosses but first wanted to sort out the order of precedence before I query the manufacturer, I didn't see the point of making an issue about missing crosses if the order of the ribbons are messed up as well.

The MBE I have is just that a Member, thus the lowest class albeit the military division. 

So if I understand your explanation correctly the correct ribbon placing should have been top row: Victoria Cross and George Cross and bottom row: DSO, MBE, DSC and lastly the MC?

Kind regards,

Wessel 

From the looks of that ribbon they simply took the list of medals I have and made the ribbon accordingly, after I specifically told them I am not sure of the order of precedence and to ignore the way I listed my medals and create a ribbon bar according to military standards.

Edited by Wessel Gordon

Pete,

My contact at the supplier's reply was basically ''fix it yourself...if you struggle return it'''. 

I managed to slip the wrongly assembled ribbons off and re-affix them in the order you suggested. I attach a pic of the new ribbon...is the order now correct?

Kind regards,

Wessel

IMG_20190924_161756.jpg

I'm not going to make an issue about the missing crosses...simply not worth the effort in my view.

It really does make a difference but after the e-mail from the supplier that basically said ''It's not our problem any longer'' I'm not going to make a fuss about it with them. I might get lucky and get the correct ribbons somewhere else.

I'm convinced if I dig around long enough on the right sites I might find a supplier that's willing to supply the correct ribbons at minimal cost to me.

I purchased the 9 British WWII campaign stars as a set recently and thought of asking the same supplier to make a ribbon bar for them but after this I'm better off finding a better source for the bars and ribbons...there's no rocket science with weird tools involved in mounting ribbons on a bar if you have time and patience.

Pete, 

Am I correct that in assuming that the upper three levels of the Member of the British Empire, namely Knight Grand Cross, Knight Commander and Commander gives the holder the title of ''Sir'' or ''Lady'' and therefor outrank the DSO?

The two lower levels Officer of the British Empire and Member of the British Empire only confer the post nominal letters OBE or MBE and nothing else and therefor rank after the DSO?