News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Career and Awards of Konteradmiral (Ing.) Johannes Steenbock

I have a few questions about this officer's career and awards. You can look at his career here: https://www.oocities.org/~orion47/WEHRMACHT/KRIEGSMARINE/Konteradmirals/STEENBOCK_JOHANNES.html

He retired in 1919 and wasn't activated again until 1935. But for some reason he isn't listed in the 1918 Rangliste. Why is that? At that time period his rank was Marineingenieuraspirant (are officers of that rank not listed in the 1918 Rangliste?). On the only known photo of him he is wearing a ribbon bar. Unfortunately I can't take a good photo of it from the book "Deutschlands Admirale" because the quality is pretty bad and the ribbon bar is barely visible.

But these are the ribbons I can make out:
    - EK 2. Klasse (I can't be sure if this is the 1914 or 1939 EK 2., and I can't check the Class because he is not listed in any of the Rangliste. If anyone has additional info please comment)
    - Kriegsverdienstkreuz (1939) 2. Klasse mit Schwertern
    - then a dark, one colour ribbon that blends in with the colour of the uniform (no idea what it might be)
    - ribbon with white edges (I assume this is the Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer)
    - there is at least 1 more ribbon after the Ehrenkreuz, my guess would be the Wehrmacht Dienstauszeichnung 4. Klasse (for 4 years of service) (Steenbock was in active service from 01.10.1913 until 31.03.1919 = 5 full years, and he was reactivated to active service on 01.04.1935, giving him just 9 full years of service until August 1939, which was not enough for the 3. Class of the Wehrmacht DA, which was awarded for 12 years of service)

My questions regarding the awards:

1. Does anyone know if his EK 2. is the 1914 or 1939 version? During WW1 he served on board the Liner "Oldenburg" (03 January 1914-30 September 1916). That ship was present at the Battle of Jutland. It is quite possible that during this period he would be eligible for the EK 2.

2. Is it more likely his Ehrenkreuz is for Frontkämpfer (Combatants) or Kriegsteilnehmer (Non-Combatants)? Again, the service on the "Oldenburg" should indicate it's the version for Frontkämpfer. The rest of WW1 he spent in the Engineer and Deck Officer School and Submarine School.

3. Do you agree he would only be eligible for the 4. Class of the Wehrmacht DA, based on the information I provided above?

Thanks for any help.

Johannes Steenbock (1).jpg

Edited by Kriegsmarine Admiral