News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Croix de Guerre WWI - Reverse Date

AdrianC

hello all,

there's no doubt, that's the 1914-1915 war cross,

the war cross was given immédiately (as possible) after the obtaining  and  near (as possible) the war place.

j hope my english writing is correct. pat66

Hello Adrian,

The citation you have was not for the Croix de guerre but for the Légion d'Honneur, officer class. It would fit the award made to Captain Marcel Victor Laborde ...

He was made Commander in the same order in December 1929 when, with the rank of Colonel, he was commanding the 9th Zouaves Regiment.

Regards,

Hendrik

Edited by Hendrik
    add details

Hendrik

Thank you much appreciated. Can I ask were did you find his Commander date as I have been attempting to unsuccessfully find this? also the mention of the Croix de Guerre would this still indicate a 1914-1915 date?

Thank you for your help.

Adrian

Adrian,

As the citation for the Officer class of the Légion d'Honneur mentions the Croix de guerre in December 1915, it is indeed a 1914-1915 reverse one that Laborde would have received. In the end, he would have two ribbon devices on its ribbon as will be seen on his LdH Commander citation ...

The latter can be found in the Journal Officiel de la République Française (JORF) at https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k65378717/f28.image.r="laborde"

Chronologically, he received three classes of the Legion d'Honneur as follows :

Chevalier (Knight) per Decree of 11 July 1908, published in the JORF on 13 July 1908

520217604_Journal_officiel_de_la_Rpublique_LabordeChev1.jpeg.0c803c2b52ee6c47d17172dffe5f652a.jpeg

Officer per Decree of 7 November 1915, published in the JORF on 9 Nov. 1915

987261166_Journal_officiel_de_la_Rpublique_LabordeOff2.jpeg.5538fd69e0b41bb1dde9317ae83152a1.jpeg

and, Commander per Decree of 25 December 1929, published in the JORF on 28 December 1929 - a nice Xmas present.

956964950_Journal_officiel_de_la_Rpublique_LabordeComm3.jpeg.b18aca6b35ad7a33ad57eb325e45c321.jpeg

Regards,

Hendrik

Edited by Hendrik
    date correction