AllThingsNavy

4th ZOUAVES

Have found the 4th Zouaves Regimental History online however it only covers their actions in France. I cannot locate any information on which Battalion? went to Morocco 27th February 1916 – 1st February 1918 & took part in actions at Beni-Mellal & Toumzit.

Could any members point me in the right direction for information.

Thanks for looking.

Adrian

hmmm... I do not think there wqas a real 4eme Battalion in Morocco 1916-18... can you give your reference and we can try and work it out from there.

Best

Chris

Chris

Thank you. Now I am really confused. I need to go through everything again!!! Could you tell me were you got the information on the 7th Battalion?

Thanks

Arian

Hi,

I have to check again... you must remember, the troops in Europe were just 4 of 7 Battalions... as is the French way they formed the " 4e Régiment de Marche de Zouaves " ... the "de Marche" units are usually composite units formed for the duration of the war... taking the best elements to make a unit for the front while leaving the rest back to carry on with their usual duties.... The French troops left in Maroc during the war were the men least fit for service on the Western front for whatever reason.

I will try and find a reference but I have a note the 7th company was in maroc... 4 in France.. am not sure where the other two were, maybe used piecemeal to reinforce the 4 in France

I had some nice 4eme Zouave documents so i had made a few notes on the unit 😉

Chris

Thank you. I have only just started collected verifiable French medals & therefore a novice to the workings of the French Army. I am learning a considerable amount thanks to responses like yours & the forum.  Look forward to hearing from you.

Adrian