News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SWA Territorial Force Merit Medal for Civilians / SWA Gebiedsmag Meriete Medalje vir Burgerlikes - Official, semi-Official or Private medal ??

Marcon1

Hi,

Can anyone tell me more about this medal ?

Clip.jpg.8282a2a793aa876e5ce311c12e71aac1.jpgClip_2.jpg.8dd1c435408454964382b388b0cd6801.jpgClip_3.jpg.e1ffd91871d1c0b6cccfe91e4528d8b8.jpg

Clip_4.jpg.acd8ababc7e08a6f72c1f8c520bb05e8.jpgClip_5.jpg.bdca3dd5201eb29c4c42384db3fd96d2.jpg

The first picture is from an older thread.

I have tried googling it but can not find any more info.

It's not in the listing of SWA medals.

Translating the Afrikaans only gets me this: 

SWA Area Command - Commanding General

SWA Area Command Merit Medal for Civilians

But possibly because it is a civilian award its not listed in the books on SA military awards.

There are a couple of SA researchers on the GMIC.  Perhaps one of them can help here.

Peter

Hi Peter,

If this was a civilian award than why does a Commanding General (thus military) award it ??

Even if this medal was awarded to civilians working for the military it would still make it a military award !

SWATF were South African troops helping SWA police in their fight against SWAPO.

Edited by Marcon1

Marcon

I phrased that badly.  You are correct: a medal awarded to civilians - which is what this is named as - would still technically count as a military award.  I simply had the stray thought that some list compilers would turn up their noses at such an award and not list it.  But perhaps that's fuzzy thinking.  It is indeed a puzzle.

Still searching and I did find a long list of medals and awards by some of the 'stans' which existed under apartheid.  You can find the listy here and look through it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Merit_Medal_(South_Africa)

Capture.JPG

Edited by peter monahan