News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Trying to verify soldier was Captured at Kut el Amarah

Hello All,

I have a trio of medals from PTE. William Stoodley #9223 of the 2nd Dorsetshire Regiment. I know that the 2nd Dorsets were captured at Kut on April 29th 1916 and out of 350 only 70 survived captivity. I have been researching Pte. Stoodley and found on three sites that he is listed as a POW but I haven't been able to find a direct source that proves it. I have checked the Weekly Causualty list of returned POWs from 1917-1919, the Red Cross POW lists, and many other places but have not found anything with his name on it.
    Does anyone know where I can find something from the War Office or medical records/ military records that directly says he was Captured at Kut? 

Thanks so much,

Ravs

_MG_2143 - Version 2.jpg

_MG_2155 - Version 2.jpg

_MG_2172 - Version 2.jpg

Ravs

The only thing I can suggest is checking with the appropriate regimental museum.  After multiple amalgamations since 1958, I think that would be the Rifles Museum.  They may not have the rolls in question [or war diaries] but can perhaps tell you whether or not they still exist and where.  If you are a Facebook user, you might contact Rob Yuill [Major] who was Curator and Director of Regimental Heritage with The Rifles 2013 - 2019.  He is a reenactor, avid historian of the Rifles and all round nice chap who, if he knows, will almost certainly steer you in the right direction.  Good luck!

Peter

5 hours ago, peter monahan said:

Ravs

The only thing I can suggest is checking with the appropriate regimental museum.  After multiple amalgamations since 1958, I think that would be the Rifles Museum.  They may not have the rolls in question [or war diaries] but can perhaps tell you whether or not they still exist and where.  If you are a Facebook user, you might contact Rob Yuill [Major] who was Curator and Director of Regimental Heritage with The Rifles 2013 - 2019.  He is a reenactor, avid historian of the Rifles and all round nice chap who, if he knows, will almost certainly steer you in the right direction.  Good luck!

Peter

Thanks so much Peter! I've reached out to him just now on FB. Lets see what this mystery unfolds....