News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

REPUBLIC OF PORTUGAL MEDAL OF TOURISTIC MERIT

Hello Gentlemen,

In these difficult time, I would like to introduce the Republic of Portugal Medal for Touristic Merit.

This award was created in 1969 ( Decreto Lei 49265 of 26 September 1969 ). And it was reformed in 1982 ( Decreto Lei 316/82 of 11 August 1982 ). It's a 3 Classes award.

No idea if any awards occurred during the period from 25 April 1974 ( Portugal Revolution ), and 1982.

The photo below is an insignia from the 1st type ( Silver Medal : Medal do Prata ), it was then a breast badge. From my further investigations on the web, this medal is currently still awarded, but as a neck badge (whatever the category Bronze, Silver ( Parta ), Gold ( Ouro ).

The medal is silver & enamel. Beautifull quality. The diameter is 45 Millimeters, and the weight is 39 Grammes. The ribbon is 30 Millimeters width, with 3 equal stripes of yellow, white, yellow ( 10 Millimeters each ). The pasador on ribbon is original and on reverse there is the safety pin to attach to the jacket.

On reverse, there is the inscription : " SECRETARIA de ESTADO da INFORMAÇÃO e TURISMO --- PORTUGAL ---- MÉRITO TURISTICO"

Best regards to all.

Emmanuel

Portugal Republic Touristic Merit Medal obverse.jpg

Portugal Republic Touristic Merit Medal obverse close up.jpg

Portugal Republic Touristic Merit Medal reverse.jpg

Portugal Republic Touristic Merit reverse close up.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Now (since 1982), the Medal of Touristic Merit is awarded as a neck badge.

That one was awarded in 2018 to Association ALEP.

I have travelled 6 times to Portugal for Medal Hunting, and the modern version (neck badge of the Touristic Merit), I have never ever seen it for sale. Eventho, the breast medal that I bought in 2019, I sourced it from Barcelona.

The modern neck version does not seems to be made of silver any more. And if ribbon colors remains the same, the white central stripe is now much narrower than the 2 outer yellow stripes.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Portugal Medal Merito Turistico 2018 Category Silver to ALEP Association.jpg

Edited by heusy68

The Gold Version of this Meda, even by browsing the web, it's not that easy to catch one. This award to a "Center of Professional Formation from the Food Sector"

But here it is.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Portugal Medal Merito Touristico Category Gold.png

Edited by heusy68

Here there is 2 more Awards Document for the Medal of the Touristic Merit of Portugal,

One for the silver Medal, awarded to : " Café Majestic " in year 2000. 

Café Majestic is one very iconic Café Belle Epoque from Porto.

One for the Gold Medal, awarded to : "Geopark Naturtejo" in year 2010

As long as I understand the award, most of the awards, are to Association, Restaurants, Museum, Place of Historical & Natural Conservation Interest.

No idea if some awards made during the period 1969 to 1974 were to institution. If anyone got clues, he/she's most welcome to post more information here.

Best regards to all.

Emmanuel

Portugal Medal Merito Turistico Category Silver to Cafe Majestic from Porto in Year 2000.jpg

Portugal Medal Merito Turistico Category Gold to Geopark Naturtejo 2010.jpg

Edited by heusy68

In year 2010, Ana Maria Braga, was awarded the Medal of Merit of Touristic Merit in Silver.

It is barely the onliest photo from a person who was awarded the medal, who is actually wearing the medal, that I have been able to get from the net.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Portugal Ana Maria Braga get the award of Medal Merito Turistico Silver in 2010.jpg

A lower version of the award exist, in the form of a Honorable Mention : Menção Honrosa with a metal plaque.

This shall be considered as a 4th Class, but without ribbon.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Portugal Medal of Touristic Merit Mencao Honrosa.jpg

Edited by heusy68