Duncan

Can I trace this American WW2 GI from his letters?

Hello everyone,

I bought a lovely set of letters sent from France just after D-Day by an American GI to a housewife in England he's been billeted with.  Is there anyway I can find out more information on the soldier, his full details are on the front of the envelope (attached picture).  He was obviously very fond of her, judging by the tone of the letters!

Thank you,

Duncan.

IMG_20200512_204133(1).jpg

Posted (edited)

Try your luck on the following websites.  There are 11 pages to go through on Ancestry:

https://www.ancestry.com/search/?name=Leo+A._Leclaire&name_x=1

There are some veterans' records available online.  For anything further, you will have to contact the National Archives directly.  Be sure to follow their directions closely when requesting records: 

https://www.archives.gov/research/military/veterans/online 

Edited by Simius Rex

Posted (edited)

This G.I. has a very tricky name when it comes to doing a records-search in the National Archives.  He won't come up if his name is typed in simply as Leclaire.  His family name was recorded as two separate words: Le and Claire, i.e. Le Claire.  Believe it or not, they also did that with German-American G.I.s whose names had the prefix "von".  Imagine being a Wehrmacht soldier and you're captured by a G.I. named Lance Corporal von Hohenleiten. The Wehrmacht soldier wouldn't know whether to try and shoot him or to give him a hearty-old "Sieg Heil" :wacky: Simi.

https://aad.archives.gov/aad/display-partial-records.jsp?s=3360&dt=893&tf=F&bc=%2Csl%2Cfd&q=von+&btnSearch=Search&as_alq=&as_anq=&as_epq=&as_woq=&mtch=1488&pg=1      

Edited by Simius Rex
spelling error

Thanks everyone, that's definitely the guy. I researched the woman they were written to and she was a 27 year old housewife living with her husband. My GI must have been billeted with them. From the tone of his letters he must have been quite smitten with her. 

Posted (edited)

It appears that your GI was also married at the time he was writing hot letters to the married British housewife.  You might want to explain to us yanks what "billeted" means but I, for one, hope it has something to do with a threesome.  This forum could sure use some tales of scandal and debauchery to liven things up.  Simi.    

Edited by Simius Rex
spelling error

On 07/06/2020 at 22:57, Simius Rex said:

It appears that your GI was also married at the time he was writing hot letters to the married British housewife.  You might want to explain to us yanks what "billeted" means but I, for one, hope it has something to do with a threesome.  This forum could sure use some tales of scandal and debauchery to liven things up.  Simi.    

Really, that's interesting! He mentions a lot about coming back on furlough and how he'd love to take her dancing again. 😉 She kept the letters all these years. Wonder if they ever met again?