News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

To which U-Boat would this emblem belong?

There are quite a few elephants shown in "U-Boat Emblems in World War II - Georg Högel" . But which U-Boat would the elephant in the attached photo represent exactly? Much obliged for your input I am.

unknown.jpg

I'm curious what makes you believe this is a U-Boat emblem.

But as far as I know only U-483 had an emblem showing a white elephant on a red shield bus as there is no image of it it would be near impossible to determine if this is it and then if it is an originally worn device. 

• 1 month later...
    On 13/07/2020 at 19:06, OvBacon said:

I'm curious what makes you believe this is a U-Boat emblem.

But as far as I know only U-483 had an emblem showing a white elephant on a red shield bus as there is no image of it it would be near impossible to determine if this is it and then if it is an originally worn device. 

Red shield?  Where did you read it was a white elephant on a "red shield"? That much I missed. Anyhow, one might ask: "what else kind of Ship/U-boat crew could/would have carried this device?"

Borehole badges are pretty much always a dead giveaway for being German (thus Kriegsmarine) badges worn on overseas caps (schiffchen) for surface ships or u-boats. One can oversimplify matters, but I think collectors of Kriegsmarine stuff make it a sport to distrust all that is offered for sale. The patina of the copper of this badge on the flip side can't be reproduced adequately enough to pass. I don't show the flip side for obvious reasons.

Edited by Duikboot