News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British Hussar's Uniform? Request for assistance in identifying

Gentlemen,

I am asking assistance in confirming and expanding on my identification of this Uniform ... which I believe to be a British Hussar's Coat.  The coat seems entirely hand stitched and has definite age and wear but is in remarkable condition, I think, for its age.  From the markings in the back, I'm guessing it is 18th Hussar Regiment ... that the next line might be a date ... and the next the wearer's id number which has been marked through and another added below?  If this is so, is there any way to identify the original wearers?  

Thanks to all for their assistance in advance, and I would be happy to answer specific questions if you ask,

Rick

100_6986.JPG

100_6987.JPG

100_6988.JPG

100_6989.JPG

100_6990.JPG

100_6991.JPG

100_6992.JPG

100_6993.JPG

100_6994.JPG

100_6995.JPG

100_6996.JPG

100_6997.JPG

100_6998.JPG

The '18H' on the lining may indicate the 18th Royal Hussars of the British Army but I really don't like the way the braid is stitched onto the tails or the amount of loose thread at the opening.  I would guess that someone has taken a plain stable jacket - possibly 18H - and added the braid.  Best guess and I may well be wrong.  See undress 'stable jackets' below, which is how I believe this started life.

unnamed.jpg

I take your point about the stitching.  I, however, think your notion about the stable jacket origins is untenable , given that a 'stable jacket' is cut like a shell jacket  and the other is  cut as a hussar. It clearly has had a long life , given that it seems to have had  two , what I take to be , regimental numbers; so  restitching is a strong possibility.  Do you have any advice for the best way to search for these numbers?  I am a bit new to this , and my attempts on the internet so far have proved fruitless.

Thanks for your interest and assistance,

Rick

Thanks, Tony.  I'm afraid I led with my mouth again, Rick. :(  Clearly not a stable jacket by the cut, which I should have caught.  I was looking for a 'braid free' version, because, as I said, I see the braid, or at least some of it, as a later addition and not by a military tailor. 

The number of visible threads on the edges of the front would practically guarantee, IMO, that one would snag them with the hooks while doing it up and rip free some of the braid.  Perhaps I'm too fixated on that, though. My apologies for the red herring!

Thanks again for your comments. After examining the tunic more carefully , I am prone to think the stitching may be original.  The braiding on the front of the coat is stitched in the same way.The entire coat seems to be hand stitched which seems to be odd given an 1887 date: but I am told that this is not out of the question for a Boer war era tunic. I have not been able to find photos of another one of this early date. I have seen photos of a lot of first world war vintage tunics and none are stitched in this fashion .