News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1914 EK1 "v" maker mark

I found this maker mark under the pin, near the hinge.  Is anyone familiar with the "v" maker mark?  Who is known for that mark?  What is known about the manufacturer?

Thank you in advance

1914 EK1 %22v%22 maker mark.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

My best guess this isn't an actual maker's mark in the usual sense, but an additional sign, maybe to attest the actual craftsman within the workshop who assembled it. If this cross doesn't have any additional mark, besides possibly for its silver purity, it's probably not possible to identify the maker. These marks are to be found on several maker's crosses, most (or all) of them from Berlin - mainly the classical EK makers, of whom several did not only produce official award type crosses, but also crosses to be purchased by wearers, probably already early in the war...

7 hours ago, saschaw said:

My best guess this isn't an actual maker's mark in the usual sense, but an additional sign, maybe to attest the actual craftsman within the workshop who assembled it. If this cross doesn't have any additional mark, besides possibly for its silver purity, it's probably not possible to identify the maker. These marks are to be found on several maker's crosses, most (or all) of them from Berlin - mainly the classical EK makers, of whom several did not only produce official award type crosses, but also crosses to be purchased by wearers, probably already early in the war...

Thank you saschaw!

I did look again at the back of the EK1, I don't know how I missed it before but down by the clasp I found a small "WS".  I presume that is the maker mark and the "v" as you said, is the craftsman's mark or silver purity.

Well, sometimes things are easier than they seem...  :P

The mark "WS" was used by Hofjuweliere Joh. Wagner & Sohn from Berlin, one of if not the most important supplier of the Prussian Generalordenskommission in the last two or three decades of the monarchy. Despite being quite common, their crosses are definitely desirable!

Edited by saschaw

Like most of us Imperial German collectors, I have "a couple of" EK1s (throat clear).  I have "K.A.G.", a "K" and silver content marked "800" and unmarked ones, but I don't recall another "WS" marked cross.

Thank you again for the information!