News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SCW-Period Medal for Suffering for Foreigners

Scott

I found this while conducting a search on the 'net. I've seen the Spanish Medal for Suffering ribbon with green stripes for Spanish military members, and with red stripes for foreign military members, but I've not seen a ribbon that combines green and red stripes. What is the explanation? Is this from the Spanish Civil War period? (the medal itself is 30mm in diameter)

Thanks!

Spanish Suffering Medal.jpg

Edited by Scott

Was created by royal order on November 6, 1814: a gold medal for the Officers and Cadets and a silver medal for the enlisted, with a chain engraved around it, and in its center a castle with the inscription SUFRIMIENTO POR LA PATRIA(Suffering for the Homeland); Which will wear both earring of the buttonhole of the jacket with a narrow yellow ribbon with green edges
    In 1940 a new Regulation was approved, expanding the right to its use and establishing new ribbons for these circumstances, without modifying the insignia. In general, it hangs from a yellow ribbon with green edges.
    The one for wounded with a red cross embroidered on the ribbon and a bar pin with the date of the injury.
    The ribbon of the injured is yellow, without green edges and has the bar with the date of the injury.
    The ribbon of those granted to relatives of those killed in the field is black, bearing a bar with the date of the action in which he found death.
    The one granted to foreigners, has a stripe in the national colors in the center of the ribbon, which is the same as for the wounded.
    For prisoners of war, the ribbon would be orange with a bar showing the dates the captivity began and ended.
    The one granted as a result of prison or murder in the Republican zone, would be pending of blue ribbon.

Please see

https://coleccionesmilitares.com/medallas/texto/msp.htm

and

PRIETO BARRIO, Antonio
    — "Medalla de Sufrimientos por la Patria"; pp. 86-95
       http://www.wikimoneda.com/OMNI/revues/OMNI_2_es.pdf

Edited by Antonio Prieto

Thank you Antonio for the superb references.  Perhaps I misunderstood, but I still don't see a ribbon like the one I posted. Is it an authorized hybrid? A prototype? Fictitious?

Examples.jpg

No. See the Order of March 11, 1941
    - Wounded and injured directly by the enemy, yellow ribbon with green edges and a red cross embroidered in the center; bar with date of injury
    - Wounded or injured from other causes, yellow ribbon, without green edges and pin with the date of the injury or injury
    - Relatives killed or disappeared in the campaign, black ribbon and a bar with the date of the action in which the deceased found death
    - Prisoners of war, orange ribbon and bar on which the dates on which the captivity began and ended will be engraved
    - Prison suffered in the Republican area or murder of a relative in that area, blue ribbon
    - Foreigners, the same as those granted to Spaniards in the respective cases, wearing in the center of the ribbon a band with the national colors, embroidered along the same

Foreigners

Wounded and injured directly by the enemy

Spanish Suffering Medal.jpg

Wounded or injured from other causes, yellow ribbon,

msp6.jpg

Prisoners of war, orange ribbon

msp10.jpg